CCP4BB  April 2016

CCP4BB April 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Summary of replies - Re: [ccp4bb] Follow-up to a question from 2002

Gerard DVD Kleywegt <[log in to unmask]>

Gerard DVD Kleywegt <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:43:04 +0200

TEXT/PLAIN

Thank you, oh collective memory that is CCP4BB!

Last week I posted the following question:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016, Gerard DVD Kleywegt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In 2002 I asked the BB a question to which I received many useful responses,
> showing the power of crowd-sourcing (although that term didn't exist yet at
> the time I think) - http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/ccp4bb/2002/msg00887.html
>
> Now I would like to pick the collective CCP4 Bulletin Brain again:
>
> Does any of you know of any examples (available in the PDB) where the same
> ligand is observed in two distinctly different conformations (with convincing
> support in the density) in one and the same structure (i.e., same PDB entry)?
> This could for example be two copies of a ligand bound to a dimer in
> different poses. I'm interested only in distinct sites, not multiple
> conformations in one site.
>
> I will happily summarise the replies.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --Gerard

The replies I have received are listed below. Thanks to everybody who took the
time to reply. You have provided ample pabulum (meaning 2, not 3!, in
Merriam-Webster).

Best wishes & toodle pip!

--Gerard

From: Hanno Sjuts <[log in to unmask]>

doxorubicin binding to AcrB might be such an example, pdb id 4DX7.

From: James Hall <[log in to unmask]>

This may not be looking for but I have a DNA structure containing the two
enantiomers of the same Ru-polypyridyl complex bound to a single DNA sequence.
The PDB ID is 4JD8.

From: Francis Reyes <[log in to unmask]>

Two molecules of THF in the THF riboswitch, Maybe not too different of a
conformation, however.

Follow-up email:

D'oh, a PDB link might be useful.
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore/explore.do?structureId=4LVV

Reply:

I prefer pdbe.org/4lvv :-)

From: Jeffrey B Bonanno <[log in to unmask]>

PDB entry 1PTY, CRYSTAL STRUCTURE OF PROTEIN TYROSINE PHOSPHATASE 1B COMPLEXED
WITH TWO PHOSPHOTYROSINE MOLECULES

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 Dec 9;94(25):13420-5. Identification of a
second aryl phosphate-binding site in protein-tyrosine phosphatase 1B: a
paradigm for inhibitor design. Puius YA1, Zhao Y, Sullivan M, Lawrence DS,
Almo SC, Zhang ZY.

From: "Carter, Charlie" <[log in to unmask]>

You raise a challenging question that I?ve thought some about because of
evidence that the two binding sites of the two TrpRS monomers in tetragonal
crystals grown with tryptophan and ATP are not occupied in the same way,
despite the fact that the asymmetric unit is a monomer.

We?ve never really worked out what happens beyond this: The crystals diffract
only to ~3.0 ?, and radio labeling with 13C Trp and 32Pgamma ATP shows that
there is one molecule of ATP, two molecules of Tryptophan per dimer. We
previously argued that the crystals are disordered because the active sites
have disproportionate to give one with Trp-5?AMP and one with Trp-2?-3?ATP.
If we incubate the crystals (grown in Phosphate) in ammonium sulfate, we get a
phase transition to give ultra fractured crystals with new unit cell
dimensions, that diffract to at least 1.6 ? and have one molecule of Trp-5?AMP
in both active sites at full occupancy.

This isn?t what you asked, exactly, but it does illustrate that something of
the sort you imagine might happen. Sorry I cannot provide details or give
evidence of a better example.

From: Patricia Legler <[log in to unmask]>

We recently published a bis-oxime bound to acetylcholinesterase (two 2-PAM
molecules linked together with a carbon linker). This trick effectively traps
the molecule bound to 2 different sites (this is also an example of
allosterism, binding of 2PAM at the top of the gorge affects the conformation
of 2PAM at the bottom of the gorge).  Ortho-7 was intended to be a drug, it
binds AChE tightly by binding the enzyme at both sites (Ki is I the mid-nM
range).  2-PAM on its own binds much weaker (high uM). Ortho-7 is really
toxic. Other linker lengths were tested prior to selecting Ortho-7 (7-carbon
linker).

There are 2 distinct sites for the same molecule (2-PAM): One binding site is
at the top of the gorge, the 2nd at the bottom of the gorge (see Fig. 4).
The same molecule also bound in one conformation in acetylcholinesterase from
T. californica (the oxime is aligned for attack in this conformer), and in a
2nd conformation in mouse AChE (the oxime is rotated away from the active site
and is unable to attack, this is an inhibitory conformer). These two enzymes
only have one difference (Phe/Tyr in the gorge).

From: Gloria Borgstahl <[log in to unmask]>

Gerard, the E. coli MnSOD crystals present 4 unique active sites with
different peroxide orientations

Structural analysis of peroxide-soaked MnSOD crystals reveals side-on binding
of peroxide to active-site manganese.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20417642>

Porta J, Vahedi-Faridi A, Borgstahl GE.

J Mol Biol. 2010 Jun 11;399(3):377-84. doi: 10.1016/j.jmb.2010.04.031. Epub
2010 Apr 24.

From: Mark A Saper <[log in to unmask]>

1ABE - L-arabinose binding protein with both alpha and beta anomie?s of
arabinose in the binding site.  I don?t think the data is available for this,
but I have a high-resolution figure (from the paper) showing the electron
density. Contact me off-list.

From: H. Raaijmakers <[log in to unmask]>

Maybe so, with indirect evidence that it once did: In the 2w8y progesterone
receptor dimer, the conformations/affinity were different enough that one was
selectively replaced by soaking. In one of the (unpublished) soaks with a
rather small ligand, only the compound in the other chain was replaced, so,
access to solvent channels can't explain all of it.

From: Joel Tyndall <[log in to unmask]>

Indeed I have published one.... 3WNR. A separate structure 3WNT showing three
similar conformations.

From: Tom Huxford <[log in to unmask]>

We saw the curare drug metocurine bound in completely different orientations
to neighboring binding sites in the crystal of a pentameric acetycholine
binding protein from saltwater snail.  I never did publish on this but I
submitted the coords to the PDB (3PEO).  It's been a long time since I've
thought about this and I'd be interested to hear your opinion if you have the
time to give it a look.