JiscMail Logo

Help for BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Home

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Home

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP  April 2016

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP April 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

SOCIOLOGICAL FUTURES BOOK SERIES LAUNCH at the BSA Annual Conference

Jenny Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>

Jenny Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 3 Apr 2016 11:04:15 +0100

text/plain

Those members who are attending the BSA Annual Conference next week may like to join the Bourdieu Study Group, which is  celebrating the launch of its recent book: Bourdieu: The Next Generation: The Development of Bourdieu's Intellectual Heritage in Contemporary UK Sociology

Laurie Taylor, also recently reviewed this book for Times Higher: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/books/review-bourdieu-the-next-generation-jenny-thatcher-nicola-ingram-ciaran-burke-jessie-abrahams-routledge

Details of the launch are below. We look forward to seeing many of you next week in Birmingham.

Best wishes, Jenny

19:15 - 20:15 Courtyard Restaurant, Conference Centre

POSTER PRIZE PRESENTATION

A prize will be awarded for the poster which best communicates its aims, methods, findings and conclusions.  Please vote and join us for the presentation of the award!

SOCIOLOGICAL FUTURES BOOK SERIES LAUNCH

The BSA and Routledge are very pleased to announce the publication of the first three books of our Sociological Futures book series.  This series marks a substantial return to monograph book publishing for the BSA.  These three volumes epitomise the aims of the series to publish new and innovative theories, methods and approaches to sociological issues and debates and ‘the social’ in the 21st century.

An End to the Crisis of Empirical Sociology? Trends and Challenges in Social Research edited by Linda McKie and Louise Ryan. Research data are everywhere. In our everyday interactions, through social media, credit cards and even public transport, we generate and use data. The challenge for sociologists is how to collect, analyse and make best use of these vast arrays of information.

Drinking Dilemmas: Space, culture and identity edited by Thomas Thurnell-Read. Drinking and drunkenness have become a focal point for political and media debates to contest notions of responsibility, discipline and risk; yet, at the same time, academic studies have highlighted the positive aspects of drinking in relation to sociability, belonging and identity. These issues are at the heart of this volume, which brings together the work of academics and researchers exploring social and cultural aspects of contemporary drinking practices.

Bourdieu: The Next Generation: The Development of Bourdieu's Intellectual Heritage in Contemporary UK Sociology edited by Jenny Thatcher, Nicola Ingram, Ciaran Burke, Jessie Abrahams. Throughout Bourdieu’s career, he argued that sociologists need to create an epistemological break, to abandon our common sense – or as much as we can – and to formulate findings from our results. This book gives unique insight into how a new generation of Bourdieusian researchers apply Bourdieu to contemporary issues, providing discussion of the working mechanisms of thinking through and/or with Bourdieu when analysing data.  In essence, we are putting Bourdieu to work to provide a structural constructivist approach to social reality anchored through empirical reflexivity.

Browse the books, hear from the Editors and share a glass of wine and cupcakes in celebration of these books and the series!
If you are interested in seeing your volume among the series, speak to the Series Editors about a proposal.
All three titles will be available at a discount for all conference delegates at the Routledge stand.
Series Editors:Professor Eileen Green, Teesside University, Professor John Horne, University of Central Lancashire, Dr Caroline Oliver, University of Oxford, Professor Louise Ryan, Middlesex University.

PUBLISHERS’ RECEPTION

Wine and non-alcoholic drinks will be available to delegates while you browse the exhibitions.
Everyone welcome.

Throughout the conference, exhibitions will be located in the Courtyard Restaurant. Stand staff will be available to speak to delegates for the duration of the conference as well as during the Publishers’ Reception.

British Sociological Association
Cambridge University Press
Combined Academic
Edwin Mellen Press