Get Password

Re: Something new and nifty at opd.data.ac.uk

"Cox A." <[log in to unmask]>

data.ac.uk community discussion

Tue, 8 Dec 2015 11:10:26 +0000

text/plain

Hi all,

As Chris has highlighted this has been an exciting little development which is now supporting work between the Digital Curation Centre DCC and the equipment.data team. This Jisc RDS sponsored project, is exploring utilising the filtered http://opd.data.ac.uk/dataset/linkingyou aggregation along with identifying additional data with the aim to extend the OPD data capture to cover Research Data Management (RDM).  By filtering the OPD information by “data profile” it has allowed the project to identify 12 additional Linking you terms to cover RDM requirements of funders.

Some of the questions the project aims to explore are:

1.As a member of the Research Office, I want to be able to easily signpost RDM infrastructure and support available at my institution to researchers.

2.As a member of research support staff, I want to develop a business case for sustaining RDM infrastructure and support services.

3.As a research funder, I want to see what RDM infrastructure and support the institution offers its researchers.

4.As a provider of RDM directories or catalogues, I want to use the OPD to automatically retrieve details of an institution's RDM infrastructure and support.

Being able to autodiscover these additional “Linking you” terms is enabling these questions to be explored offering future opportunities to build an information portal displaying a range of RDM details.  Imagine linking this data with open access repository details (also captured on the OPD under Research Outputs) - Services using this data could be developed providing aggregated access to research data repositories which include additional information for the browser detailing institutional open access policies and secure data access requirements.

Further information, explaining the additional linking you terms and participating in the project, is available on the DCC website http://www.dcc.ac.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Developing%20an%20organisational%20profile%20for%20RDM%20services_1.pdf

Kindest regards,

Adrian

Adrian Cox

Project Manager, equipment.data