CCP4BB  November 2015

CCP4BB November 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: AW: [ccp4bb] AW: [ccp4bb] Diffraction as a Single-Photon Process; was RE: [ccp4bb] Twinning Question

Colin Nave <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Nov 2015 19:18:35 +0000

text/plain

Ethan is right that the demo does not map on to the anomalous scattering normally encountered. I think this might be because the damping is inappropriate - which is (at least in retrospect!) why I thought it was for a non damped case and asked whether anyone knew of a better example for a damped oscillator.

Firstly I want to make clear (for those who believe I am stuck in the 19th century) that I believe the theory involving quantisation of the electromagnetic field for x-ray scattering works splendidly. It gives results in agreement with the classical treatment regarding the electron as a driven oscillator. The agreement between the two is verging on beautiful. The problem with the quantum approach is when one tries to give an account of what happens to a photon before it has been detected. People get tied up in knots. Concepts such as the phase (or amplitude)  of a photon are problematic. If a photon has a certain energy known with a high degree of "certainty" then its timing (and therefore any phase) will have a high degree of uncertainty. Similarly I don't think its amplitude can be defined unless the photon is confined (doing this lead to a Nobel prize a few years ago). In contrast, the classical approach via a damped oscillator lends itself to a mechanical simulation and should help understand what is happening.

The classical description for scattering can be found in many places e.g.

http://oldwww.iucr.org/iucr-top/comm/cteach/pamphlets/8/node2.html.

This handles the absorption of energy as well as the excitation produced by the incident field.

The mechanical simulation attempts to show both amplitude and phase changes across resonance and this is what is required. The phase changes should correspond to the effect of changes in f' and f'' on the scattered wave. A 180 degree phase change for scattering from a free electron is expected. Whether the charge is positive or negative the charge will oscillate to produce a wave opposing the incident one. As John Helliwell pointed out this also happens at reflection from a surface (the refractive index change at a surface is just some  sum of the scattering factors of the components).  I think the damping factor (k) is rather low in the simulation  so one gets a large change in amplitude, presumably similar to the strong resonance of lanthanides. The phase at resonance seems to be correct although I am not sure whether it should be 90 or 270 degree. So, we have a peak corresponding to f'' which increases to a maximum and then decreases with opposite slope. The f' equivalent  would be expected to follow the slope (by the Kramers Kronig relationship) giving a change in sign on either side of the resonance. This corresponds for example to Fig. 8.2 in Elements of Modern X-ray physics by Jens Als-Nielsen and Des McMorrow and is what appears to be the case in the simulation. In other words the simulation corresponds to that for a classical driven damped oscillator with certain parameters.

Despite this, I too am not entirely happy about the simulation. The damping seems to correspond to a strong resonance and this is not the normal case. Control of the damping factor is therefore required. Finer steps for the frequency changes would be good. Finally, it is difficult to see the exact phase changes - I would like to see little graphs for the amplitude of the driver and oscillator with time so the phase shifts can be seen more clearly.

The reason I would like to see this is that I believe a demonstration of this type would give crystallographers an intuitive understanding of the physical principles behind anomalous scattering. If such a demonstration is not available,  the IUCr should  clearly give a large teaching type grant to someone who comes up with the best proposal to construct a machine to meet the requirements in the previous paragraph.

Colin