SPORT-MED  August 2015

SPORT-MED August 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

WRITING AND WRITERS GUIDES AND HANDBOOKS : GOVERNMENT: PUBLICATIONS : PLAIN LANGUAGE WRITING : UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: Government Writing Manuals Guides and Handbooks

"David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>

To support research in sports medicine <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Aug 2015 07:13:01 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

.

.

GOVERNMENT WRITING MANUALS HANDBOOKS AND GUIDES

.

.

.

WRITING AND WRITERS GUIDES AND HANDBOOKS :

GOVERNMENT: PUBLICATIONS :

PLAIN LANGUAGE WRITING :

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT:

Government Writing Manuals Guides and Handbooks

.

.

WEBBIB1516

http://tinyurl.com/q8tavoy

.

.

Government Writing Manuals Guides and Handbooks

WRITING AND WRITERS: GUIDES AND HANDBOOKS :

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT:

Federal Plain Language Guidelines, March 2011

http://tinyurl.com/o684wda

Federal Plain Language Guidelines, March 2011

Plain Language.gov

Improving communications from the Federal Government to the public

Table of Contents

Think about your audience
Identify and write for your audience
Address separate audiences separately
Organize
Organize to meet your readers' needs
Address one person, not a group
Use lots of useful headings
Write short sections
Write your document
Words
Verbs
Use active voice
Use the simplest form of a verb
Avoid hidden verbs
Use "must" to indicate requirements
Use contractions when appropriate
Nouns and pronouns
Don't turn verbs into nouns
Use pronouns to speak directly to readers
Minimize abbreviations
Other word issues
Use short, simple words
Omit unnecessary words
Dealing with definitions
Use the same term consistently for a specific thought or
object
Avoid legal, foreign, and technical jargon
Don't use slashes
Sentences
Write short sentences
Keep subject, verb, and object close together
Avoid double negatives and exceptions to exceptions
Place the main idea before exceptions and conditions
Place words carefully
Paragraphs
Have a topic sentence
Use transition words
Write short paragraphs
Cover only one topic in each paragraph
Other aids to clarity
Use examples
Use lists
Use tables to make complex material easier to understand
Consider using illustrations
Use emphasis to highlight important concepts
Minimize cross-references
Design your document for easy reading
Write for the web
How do people use the web?
Write for your users
Identify your users and their top tasks
Write web content
Repurpose print material for the web
Avoid PDF overload
Use plain-language techniques on the web
Avoid meaningless formal language
Write effective links
Test
Paraphrase Testing
Usability Testing
Controlled Comparative Studies
Testing Successes
Paraphrase Testing from the Veterans Benefits Administration
Usability Testing from the National Cancer Institute

One may download the Word or PDF version of the full Guidelines.

  (writers OR "writer s" OR writing) AND (manual OR handbook OR guide)
  AND SITE: GOV

"employee manual" OR "employee manuals" OR "employee handbooks" OR
"employee handbook" OR "employee guide" OR "employee guides"

http://tinyurl.com/o684wda

.

WRITING AND WRITERS: GUIDES AND HANDBOOKS :

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT :

WRITING AND WRITERS: PLAGIARISM:

Avoiding Plagiarism, Self-Plagiarism, and Other Questionable Writing
Practices:
A Guide to Ethical Writing

http://tinyurl.com/nlr5ymu

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Download PDF of this Module

26 Guidelines at a Glance

Introduction

On ethical writing

Plagiarism

. Plagiarism of ideas
. Acknowledging the source of our ideas
. Plagiarism of text
. Inappropriate paraphrasing
. Paraphrasing and plagiarism: What the writing guides say
. Examples of paraphrasing: Good and bad
. Paraphrasing highly technical language
. Plagiarism and common knowledge
. Plagiarism and authorship disputes

Self plagiarism

. Redundant and Duplicate (i.e., dual) Publications
. Academic self plagiarism
. Salami Slicing (i.e., data fragmentation)
. Copyright Law
. Copyright Infringement, Fair Use, and Plagiarism
. Text recycling
. Forms of acceptable text recycling
. Borderline/unacceptable cases of text recycling

The Lesser Crimes of Writing

. Carelessness in citing sources
. Relying on an abstract or a preliminary version of a paper while
citing the published version
. Citing sources that were not read or thoroughly understood
. Borrowing extensively from a source but only acknowledging a small
portion of what is borrowed
. Ethically inappropriate writing practices
. Selective reporting of literature
. Selective reporting of methodology
. Selective reporting of results
. Authorship issues and conflicts of interest
. Deciding on authorship
. Establishing authorship
. Authorship in faculty-student collaborations
. A brief overview on conflicts of interest