YGS-MEMBERS  June 2015

YGS-MEMBERS June 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Field excursions to Carboniferous stratotypes of NW England

John Knight <[log in to unmask]>

John Knight <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Jun 2015 08:41:37 -0400

To all members:

Dear Colleagues-

Please note the following invitation, copied below, which has now been sent formally to all members of the IUGS Subcommission on Carboniferous Stratigraphy (SCCS), referring to the event listed in our YGS summary programme for 2015 and in the recent Field Meetings Circular.  It is Council's intent that all the field visits shall be open to all members of the Society.

Detailed arrangements for accommodation of the SCSS delegates and their transport have not yet been finalised.  SCCS delegates will be paying for group transport and it is assumed that YGS members will make their own way by private transport to join the group at each location.  No formal indoor review/discussion meetings have been programmed.  However, members of YGS will be welcome to join any evening meetings which may be held at the group hotel accommodation, planned to consist of 3 nights in the Preston area and two nights in the Buxton area.  All logistical arrangements will be copied to YGS members (those on the e-mail mailing list) as they are finalised and also will be posted on the Society website.  I attach the Excursion Summary document which has been issued to members of the SCCS.

I hope shortly to post an invitation to members to join small working parties on various days of the summer months to prepare, clean-up and mark up each of the stratotype sections, for which volunteers will be requested to register interest and intent to participate.  At this time there is no requirement to register interest to join the October visit programme although you may wish to note these dates in your diaries.

I take the opportunity to remind everyone that registration for the Society's Chalk Symposium is now open (The Chalk of the Northern Province: its regional context 10 - 13 September 2015).

I look forward to see many of you during the summer field programme.

With best regards

John Knight
(President)

Message sent to members of the SCCS

June 19, 2015

Dear members of the Subcommission on Carboniferous Stratigraphy (SCCS),

Dr John Knight, president of the Yorkshire Geological Society (YGS) and director of Harworth Minerals Consultancy Ltd., based in the United Kingdom, has invited the SCCS to join members of the YGS to visit several of the stratotype sections for Carboniferous regional substages in Northern England. Please see his attached invitation and excursion summary.
At the SCCS- and SPS-sponsored meeting “Field Meeting on Carboniferous and Permian Nonmarine–Marine Correlations” that was held in Freiberg Germany last July, I had the pleasure of meeting Dr John Knight, President of the Yorkshire Geological Society. John indicated his society takes regular geological field trips to exposures of the Carboniferous and associated systems in northern England and I asked him if the YGS would be willing to organize a field trip for a group of SCCS members to see some of the Carboniferous stratotype sections in that area during the fall of 2015. Many SCCS members, including myself, refer to the English Carboniferous regional substages in their stratigraphic publications but have not visited most of their stratotype sections and would benefit greatly by doing so. John thought an excursion to the Carboniferous stratotype sections would also be of substantial interest for some of their society’s members and agreed to organize a joint YGS/SCCS field trip for a small- to medium-size group (15 to 30 persons).

John Knight, assisted by SCCS voting member Dr Svetlana Nikolaeva and I developed the attached fieldtrip itinerary. If you plan to attend this field meeting, please register by sending your name and contact information including an e-mail address and cell-phone number to  Dr John Knight [log in to unmask]  and I [log in to unmask] as soon as possible (preferably before August 1, 2015). John needs to know how many persons will attend in order to make hotel and other reservations. Also, some of you will require official letters of invitation to obtain a visa for the United Kingdom and we need to complete those as soon as possible. If you require an official letter for a UK visa, please provide us with the following information: complete name, date of birth, address and telephone number in country or origin, passport number, purpose of visit, method of financial support in the UK, approximate date of arrival in UK, and departure date from the UK.
Additional information about the field trip, including the time and place to meet in Manchester will be posted on the YGS website - www.yorksgeolsoc.org.uk

Best regards,

Barry C. Richards
Chairman SCCS