ACB-AKI-ALGORITHM  June 2015

ACB-AKI-ALGORITHM June 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: AKI warning stage test results in pregnancy

"Mascall, Gary (WRH Biochemistry Medical Staff)" <[log in to unmask]>

ACB AKI-Detection-Algorithm <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Jun 2015 07:53:02 +0000

text/plain

A similar picture often arises following an acute hospital admission, when a patient becomes fluid loaded with renal function checked daily. If the only other renal function test was 10 months previously from primary care, and shows a similar value to the current one, the median is now lowered and an "inaccurate" alert will be generated.

OK, unlikely this will be anything other than AKI stage 1, but will be flagged as abnormal on GP systems, and they will then have to follow procedures put in place by local renal physicians to exclude renal disease.

Also often the case in the frail elderly with low muscle mass and minor dehydration following an illness which blips up the creatinine.

Whilst this is a move in the right direction, there is scope for more informed advise/comments in such cases where we can add value to the reports.

Kind regards,

Gary Mascall

Gary Mascall

Consultant in Clinical Biochemistry

Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust

www.worcsacute.nhs.uk

Trust email: [log in to unmask]

NHS Net email: [log in to unmask]

Tel: 01905 760760 extn 30214