Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: digital music object

Graham Klyne <[log in to unmask]>

Announcement list for FAST IMPACt <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 May 2015 15:35:24 +0100

text/plain

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind words!

To address your later point first:  I don't have any particular user groups in
mind. My suggestion stems in part from my own experience as an occasional local
concert attendee, and I would be very interested to develop the ideas with you
and others who have more relevant experience.  On reflection, it seems to me
that engaging with amateur musicians would be an easier place to start than with
the professionals I had envisaged.

My own focus here is in prototyping and developing the information exchange
models and their representation using Semantic Web standards.  I am working on a
software tool (an early version demoed at the FAST kick-off meeting last year)
that may help with prototyping the information models, and might be a useful
stepping stone, but I don't particularly see it playing out as a long term
interface for real users.

The most relevant thing I have to show you at the moment is this:
http://demo.annalist.net/annalist/c/DMO_Experiment/d/ - the underling platform
is designed for flexibility and evolvability, so I'm hoping it will prove useful
for prototyping DMO information model ideas that we may wish to develop.

On the technology front, I would anticipate an approach that is kind of hybrid
between your "new platform" vs "dashboard" approaches.  I think it's important
to not try to supplant existing applications that already work well for their
users, but I also anticipate that there may be features that are not provided
effectively by existing platforms.  I see the Web as the ultimate underlying
platform for all of this, and Web standards providing some of the glue that can
connect new and existing applications.  I don't personally have a clear idea of
what those new and existing applications might be, so there's lots to discuss.

I think a chat or meeting would be great.  I'm currently travelling with patchy
Internet access, but shall be available to Skype for most of next week.  Also,
I'm currently looking to see if I can make the June workshop in Nottingham -- if
I can make it, would it make sense to plan on staying over a night and meeting
on the Tuesday?

#g