Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Are we a nation of runners?

Simon Cook <[log in to unmask]>

Running Cultures Research Network <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 31 May 2015 12:16:13 +0000

text/plain

Hi Kai, Anna, Russell and everyone.

I think these are a really important and interesting set of questions that underpin much of the work we are all doing - but I don't know of anywhere which answers them on the global scale; a couple on europe however.

I have just got a hold of the new edited collection Running across Europe (http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/running-across-europe-jeroen-scheerder/?K=9781137446367) which is a looks at the running sector in 11 different European countries which some fascinating stats. The blurb states "An estimated 50 million Europeans are engaged in running as a way to stay healthy and/or challenge themselves". The 2009 Asics Reasons to Run Survey (http://www.everythingaboutrunning.asics.eu/eu_eu/introduction/) claims it is 80million in Great Britain, France, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany however.

But again, how these relate to the question of what really classes as running you pose Anna is unclear. What sort of runner are they interested in, and what do they mean by running. Is it self-identified?

As part of my MA thesis last year, I looked at some cases of 'emergency' type of running, conducting an ethnography of people who run, if only for a few meters, through railway stations in order to make their train. Here I really had to question when running was running and when it was not. Foot mobilities can be very ambiguous. But there seemed to be much less demographic bias as to who ran in such situations than what is reported in such surveys - as you rightly say Anna, most people have the capacity to run and will do if required.

Running manifests in many different ways and has many uses for humans. I would guess however, that most of us are interested in researching running as understood in these surveys and as may be popularly imagined. Another interesting question to add to those already posed is, what is the value of recognising and studying the many forms/uses of running, what does it add to the study of running as we may imagine it, are the practices linked in anyway, what can be advanced by questioning our understandings of what running is, what it looks likes and how it manifests?

Fascinating stuff!

Best,

Simon

Simon Cook

PhD Researcher, Department of Geography, RHUL

Research Associate at Run! Run! Run! International Body For Research

Email: [log in to unmask]

Twitter: @SimonIanCook

Website: http://jographies.wordpress.com

RHUL Profile: http://tinyurl.com/rhulsimon