Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Preplacement Health Questionnaire

Karen Coomer <[log in to unmask]>

Occupational Health mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Mar 2015 10:05:39 -0000

text/plain

Hi Catherine
I agree with much you have said and don't like the blanket 4 question approach either. As I understand it the Madden research was based on the NHS, as many of us are aware in other industries there are other factors to be considered.

I have posted this previously but will do so again - In my opinion there is a balance to be had based on the risks of the business. In some industries e.g., food, mental health, it would an intrinsic functional part of the job and a legal requirement to not carry infectious diseases (food industry)  or be able to carry out restraint and hold procedures (mental health) - this is where I add extra questions to the simple question set normally asked and design it for the risks of the business and any regulations they need to comply with - so it is bespoke. I also think that the judgement of the Cheltenham Borough Council v Laird [2009] EWHC 1253 HC case needs to be considered as one of the problems with that case was that too few questions were asked in the pre-employment questionnaire.

Best regards
Karen