NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  March 2015

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING March 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Emerging Ideas: March 2015 Discussion

Suzy <[log in to unmask]>

Suzy <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:57:39 +0000

text/plain

Hi all,

The final week of our March discussion has begun. I would like to thank the contributors we have had thus far for sharing their thoughts and wide-ranging experiences. I look forward to hearing more this week. ; )

Thanks a million Memo for your detailed post, where you have raised some interesting points to add to our discussion. It may have been delayed, but it was certainly worth the wait ; )

Your description of your early and evolving career highlights existing ‘models of production’ for artists and the wider infrastructures available to both young, emerging and more established practitioners in this field, that support the development of art they wish to create.

You identify some key artistic motivations for engaging with industry, such as ‘Artist R&D’. And acknowledge that engaging with industry provides an opportunity to ‘investigate modes of communication that would perhaps otherwise not be possible’ for you. You also articulate some of the motivations that drive those in industry to engage with artists in developing creative work.

It was great to get your insight into the ‘delicate tensions’ that can arise when motivations are not aligned and the impact this can have on relationships and the final outputs. And to learn about the key areas that you feel are important for a successful collaboration; shared vision, short chain of command, creative freedom, a ‘no strings attached’ approach, trust, shared understanding of the exploratory artistic process, valuing the conceptual motivation behind the artwork, a shared language that communicates how each collaborator (arts and business) functions and what they value, and an acknowledgement of cultural differences between the arts and business.

The strategies and approaches that different brands you have engaged with have used to engage artists has also been useful to read about, from Sony to McLaren to Saatchi & Saatchi. And you paint a hopeful picture of how key individuals and a younger, more open minded generation emerging within the commercial world of brands, are making progress from within.

You also provide some tangible examples of how curators can evolve the cultural exchange between the arts and creative digital industries.

It would be interesting to hear more thoughts on this from the list.

Best wishes,

Suzy

 Suzy O'Hara
e:[log in to unmask]