Design Research News, January 2015

DAVID DURLING <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jan 2015 11:59:22 +0000

text/plain

_______________________________________________  _______________
___________________________________________      __  _   _   ___
_________________________________________   ___  __   ___  _____
_________________________________________  ____  __  _____   ___
_________________________________________   ___  __  _______  __
___________________________________________      __  ____    ___

DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS  Volume 20 Number 1 Jan 2015 ISSN 1473-3862
DRS Digital Newsletter      http://www.designresearchsociety.org

Join DRS via e-payment  http://www.designresearchsociety.org

CONTENTS

o   Editorial

o   Ranulph Glanville

o   IASDR2015

o   FDRS

o   Design Studies

o   Calls

o   Announcements

o   The Design Research Society: information

o   Digital Services of the DRS

o   Subscribing and unsubscribing to DRN

o   Contributing to DRN

EDITORIAL

I should like to take this opportunity, in the first edition
of DRN in 2015, to convey best wishes to all readers for the
new year. A warm welcome to those who have subscribed recently
and taken us to over 9000 readers for the first time. Please
pass on details of DRN to others including research students,
and let's see if we can reach a greater number of experienced
and early career design researchers.

This edition starts with the obituary of a dear colleague,
Professor Ranulph Glanville. Following the announcement of his
death in late December, a number of tributes were posted on
phd-design (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/phd-design) and an
obituary posted by the American Society for Cybernetics which
is repeated below.

The International Association of Societies of Design Research
(IASDR) is currently promoting the upcoming 2015 conference,
to be held in Brisbane in November. This is arguably the most
significant conference in the calendar this year, and no doubt
will be popular, so get your papers and registrations
completed as early as possible.

And why not make a new year resolution to apply to be a Fellow
of the Design Research Society? Anyone who is experienced in
design research may apply. Nigel Cross and the conferment
committee are looking forward to your application for this
prestigious award.

David Durling
Editor

RANULPH GLANVILLE

It is with profound sadness that the American Society for
Cybernetics  announces the untimely passing of our president,
Ranulph Glanville six months prior to his 70th birthday on
June 13, 2015.

Ranulph Glanville was Professor Emeritus of Architecture and
Cybernetics at University College London, also Research Senior
Tutor and Professor in Innovation Design Engineering at Royal
College of Art in London. In addition, he was Professor of
Architecture at the University of Newcastle in Australia and
Senior Professor of Research Design at KU Leuven--LUCA in
Belgium. He published in excess of 350 academic publications.
He was an architect, composer and artist as well as a
cybernetician. He rebuilt the ASC from a struggling
organization with fewer than 40 members to a thriving
intellectual conversation involving upwards of 300.

Ranulph Glanville gained a Diploma in Architecture from the
Architectural Association School, London (working in the area
of experimental electro-acoustic music). This was followed by
a PhD in Cybernetics with a thesis entitled "A Cybernetic
Development of Epistemology and Observation, Applied to
objects in Space and time (as Seen in Architecture)" which
tackled the question of what structure might sustain the
belief that we all see differently, yet believe we see the
same thing.  He called this his theory of objects. His
supervisor was Gordon Pask and his examiner was Heinz von
Foerster. His second PhD  was in human learning and dealt with
how we understand architectural space.  In 2006, he was
awarded a DSc in Cybernetics and Design by Brunel University.

Professor Glanville  for many years worked as a freelance,
itinerant  professor, mainly commuting between the UK,
Belgium, Hong Kong and Australia. In the UK he most recently
was the research professor in Innovation Design Engineering at
the Royal College of Art, Imperial College of Science and
Technology. In Australia, he had a major part in the
Invitational Masters through Practice and the Doctorate
through Practice at RMIT University. He was emeritus professor
of architecture and cybernetics at the Bartlett, University
College London. He has written on Design Research for over
quarter of a century, early on introducing concepts such as
research as design and the importance of finding appropriate
theory for design within design, rather than unquestioningly
importing theories from other subjects.

To this end it is only right that we quote from Ranulph
himself:

"If you slow things down then you see nuances that you
wouldn't normally see. That is revealing -- slowness has a
particular quality of its own. It is difficult to slow things
down and to simultaneously keep alert. Being caught in
between, being a bit lost, is good for a human being. Things
have their own time, and we should learn to enjoy this, rather
than imposing our own, usually rushed time. A little slowness,
living in the now, and a reduction of the significance of the
nation state might really help us.

"A lot of my cybernetics is philosophical in nature, a lot of
it goes against conventional cybernetics, which is in general
focused on purposeful systems -- systems with goals. I'm just
as interested in systems that don't have goals. So I am better
at keeping my eyes open for opportunities than in taking them.
If I leave myself open to see possibilities and if I leave
space for people to offer "gifts" to me, then I often get some
extraordinary opportunities which I could never have hoped
for. That's the opposite of the cybernetic goal-oriented
system. In cybernetics, I'm interested in the transcendental
questions or frameworks within which cybernetics happens,
which we tend to assume in order to be able to act. I'm
interested in what those assumptions are: what they imply. In
that sense I'm someone who looks at the foundations and
questions them -- someone interested in the relationship
between "freedom" and the "machine". The most remarkable
characteristic of human beings is that we create patterns.
Without the ability to create patterns we wouldn't be able to
think. That's what I do: generally at a rather abstract level.

"I'm interested in a society that minimises the impact of
society and maximises the space for the individual. I will
argue against control. Not all control, but against our
assumption of the universal possibility and desirability of
control. We are aware that our attempts to control are often
inadequate. We usually excuse this as due to exceptional
circumstances, or an inadequate description (one without
enough variety) But I would like to suggest an alternative to
always making excuses. We can ask ourselves what happens if,
when there's a serious variety imbalance, we give up trying to
control? If we don't try to force the system we had thought to
control into having as little variety as we have? Then we are
left with a vastness of variety (and hence possibilities) that
goes way beyond our limits. We can be flooded, not by water
inundating us, but by possibilities we had never dreamt of."

He leaves his wife the Dutch physiotherapist, Aartje Hulstein,
and his son Severi.  We miss him already.

Michael Lissack

http://www.asc-cybernetics.org
http://www.isce.edu/Glanville.html

REMINDER -- IASDR2015

Call for papers

We invite papers which offer original research and application
across all domains of design: architecture, planning,
industrial design, engineering design, software, interaction
design, fashion or media design. The papers should demonstrate
collaborative research and application with science or
technology or the arts. Papers should be 3000 - 5000 words
excluding abstracts and references and comply with IASDR 2015
guidelines. Submissions must be in English and submitted
through the online submission system.

Access to submission system:

- Paper guidelines
- Paper template
- Paper submission

Important Dates

6 April 2015: Full paper submission
1 - 15 June 2015: Notification of acceptance
13 July 2015: Paper corrections deadline
10 August 2015: Final paper submission
2 November 2015: IASDR 2015 starts

Peer Review

All papers will be double blind peer reviewed. The main
criteria that reviewers will use are:

- Relevance to the IASDR 2015 theme
- Originality
- Quality and research rigour
- Clarity of communication.

Proceedings and Paper Presentation

All accepted papers will be published in the IASDR 2015
proceedings in digital format.  Authors are expected to attend
and present their paper at the congress.

iasdr2015.com

BECOMING A FELLOW OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

Did you know that the Design Research Society has two grades
of membership? Anyone with an interest in design research can
join DRS as an ordinary member, but there is also a grade of
membership, Fellow of the Design Research Society, to which
DRS members can be elected if they satisfy certain criteria of
qualifications and experience.

When the Design Research Society was founded, it was set up as
a learned society, aiming to promote research and study into
the processes and practices of design. From the beginning,
there has never been a requirement for any particular
qualification for admission to membership of the Society - it
has been open to anyone who wishes to support and further the
aims of the Society. This open membership policy has helped to
create the diversity and the vivacity of the Society.

However, in order to further the Society's role as a promoter
of excellence and quality, in 2006 a new, qualified form of
membership was established - Fellow of the DRS. Conferment of
the title of Fellow of the Design Research Society
acknowledges an individual as having an established record of
achievement in design research, and peer recognition as a
researcher of professional standing and competence.

After almost fifty years of activity, DRS has become a
respected, international organisation, concerned essentially
with the advancement of knowledge in the field of design
research. It has also played a role in advising government and
other bodies on how best to pursue this advancement of
knowledge, including how to assess the quality of research.
DRS offers a reliable, established and professional academic
point of view from the world of design research. DRS Fellows
are individuals who can represent that point of view.

Fellows of the Society may use the personal qualification
suffix of 'FDRS'. However, the purpose of the Fellow
membership grade is not to reward just the most outstanding
researchers, but to provide an acknowledgment of a consistent
and reliable professional contribution to design research.
Also, becoming a Fellow of the DRS recognises not only your
professional standing and peer recognition, but also your
commitment to helping to develop the primary aim of DRS as a
learned society, i.e. being 'a body of persons associated for
the purpose of promoting the study of and research into the
process of designing in all its many fields.'

To become a Fellow, you must first be a full member of the
DRS, and then you must have:

- a research qualification or equivalent (normally a Doctorate
or a Masters degree by research);

- at least seven years experience of working at postgraduate
level in research related to design, or research-based design
practice;

- a significant record of achievement in design research, as
evidenced by, for example, publications of international
standard, and/or conducting successful research projects,
and/or successful education of postgraduate research students.

Members of DRS who consider that they match these criteria can
make an application for election to Fellow. Applications are
considered in confidence by a Committee of Fellows, chaired by
the DRS President, Professor Nigel Cross.

A list of current DRS Fellows is on the DRS webpage:
http://www.designresearchsociety.org/joomla/index.php/about/
fellows.html

Information on how to apply for election to Fellow is on the
DRS webpage:
http://www.designresearchsociety.org/joomla/become-fellow.html

DESIGN STUDIES

Starting from January 2015, Design Studies now publishes as
six volumes per year, instead of six separate issues within
one annual volume. Each volume will be open and 'in progress'
online, acumulating each new article as it is accepted for
publication, and making each article fully cited and citable
as soon as it appears online. Volumes will be completed and
closed at two-monthly intervals.

Volume 36, Pages 1-132, January 2015

CONTENTS

Editorial
Nigel Cross
Pages 1-2

Behavioral analysis of analogical reasoning in design:
Differences among designers with different expertise levels
Chunlei Chai, Fei Cen, Weiyu Ruan, Cheng Yang, Hongting Li
Pages 3-30

Do the best design ideas (really) come from conceptually
distant sources of inspiration?
Joel Chan, Steven P. Dow, Christian D. Schunn
Pages 31-58

The relationship between student design cognition types and
creative design outcomes
Chia-Chen Lu
Pages 59-76

Conditions influencing the development of design expertise: As
identified in interior design student accounts
Kennon M. Smith
Pages 77-98

Rolling with the punches: An examination of team performance
in a design task subject to drastic changes
Christopher McComb, Jonathan Cagan, Kenneth Kotovsky
Pages 99-121

Exhibition Review: Service design as finished business
Dirk Snelders, Janneke Vervloed
Pages 122-124

Book Review: Design Research in Architecture (Murray Fraser,
ed.)
Bryan Lawson
Pages 125-130

Acknowledgement of Referees
Page 131

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/0142694X/36

Contents of Volume 35, Number 6 (November 2014)

A comparative analysis of multimodal communication during
design sketching in co-located and distributed environments,
pp 559-592
Ozgur Eris, Nikolas Martelaro, Petra Badke-Schaub

Designers' perception during sketching: An examination of
Creative Segment theory using eye movements,  pp 593-613
Lingyun Sun, Wei Xiang, Chunlei Chai, Zhiyuan Yang, Kejun
Zhang

Applying user centred and participatory design approaches to
commercial product development,  pp 614-631
Christopher R. Wilkinson, Antonella De Angeli

A theoretical basis for recommending the use of design
methodologies as teaching strategies in the design studio,  pp
632-646
Terrence Curry

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/0142694X/35/6

CALLS

17-18 September 2015 INCLUDE 2015 - DISRUPTIVE INCLUSIVE
Disruptive Ideas in Inclusive Design
Royal College of Art, London

We are pleased to announce the 8th International Conference on
Inclusive Design, organised by the Helen Hamlyn Centre for
Design at the RCA.

Its theme for 2015 is Disruptive Ideas in Inclusive Design.

Ever since the international inclusive design community first
came together around the needs of older and disabled people
for the inaugural Include conference in 2001, a series of
disruptions have moved the tectonic plates under the field.

Definitions of inclusive design have expanded, new directions
have proliferated and the rapid emergence of new technologies
has altered the landscape too.

Co-design, co-creation and crowdsourcing have re-cast the
relationship between designers and users; social innovation
and digital manufacture have raised new agendas.

As a result, the pluralistic world of inclusive design now
looks very different from the picture at the turn of the new
millennium.

Include 2015, the 8th international conference on inclusive
design at the RCA, will explore these disruptions through:

- a series of keynote speaker presentations by change experts
in the field
- a poster gallery for early career researchers
- showreel presentations by inclusive designers
- a series of interactive workshops on different themes.

Include 2015 will build its programme focusing on disruptive
interventions that will lay down challenges for the future.

The conference will be held for the first time in the
magnificent innovation setting of the new Dyson Building on
the RCA's Battersea campus and is timed to take place on the
eve of the 2015 London Design Festival, so that delegates can
stay on after the event to enjoy the spectacular design
programme put on by the Festival across London.

Visible Language journal: Critical Making: Design and the
Digital Humanities

The deadline to submit proposals to the Visible Language
journal special issue, Critical Making: Design and the Digital
Humanities, is January 15, 2015. We're also looking for
colleagues interested in serving as peer reviewers.

The call for proposals is available at
http://visiblelanguagejournal.com/call/

17-19 June 2015: URBAN ECOLOGIES 2015

OCAD University's Faculty of Design presents the 2015 Urban
Ecologies conference, the second international conference that
will examine the impact of intersecting themes that are
shaping the future of design in our cities.

More than ever before, major urban centres will be at the
forefront of transformation and change in order to accelerate
a sustainable human presence. The framing of the conference
deals with the largest possible context of all debates - the
limits of our planetary ecosystem.  It is within this "Big
Picture" context that the conference will challenge the
current economic, political, and social frameworks that
generate our urban infrastructure and built environment.   The
goal is to relinquish outdated "Bottom Line" models in favour
of new, innovative, and synergistic business structures and
designs that achieve prosperity without sacrificing social
responsibility or ignoring the health of the planetary
ecosystems that ultimately sustain us.  Urban Ecologies 2015
will examine the strategies that will be necessary for our
cities to move beyond sustainability to becoming net producers
of energy and resources: True Ecologies.

Urban environments are the location or destination of an
increasing proportion of humanity. The urgent need for cities
to achieve a sustainable balance between human impact and
environmental resilience is motivating the consideration of
ecology as a source of new theoretical, methodological, and
metaphorical directions. Ecological approaches to the design
of urban environments appropriate the complex, multivariate,
and interdependent--yet innately balanced--characteristics of
natural systems. In considering cities as urban ecologies,
designers must reconcile multiple interlocking imperatives,
such as social needs and desires, cultural norms and
aspirations, economic restrictions, the allocation of natural
resources, and aesthetics.

Urban ecologies operate dynamically across time and space,
qualities that challenge the static two-dimensional logic of
conventional design methods and instruments. Urban ecology
ideas are also dynamic, informed by other theoretical
frameworks including systems thinking, sustainability,
biomimicry, inclusive design, active living, community
engagement, and big data. A close examination of the
relationships between ecology and urbanity has the potential
to result in strategies and solutions that equip us to design
sustainable, inclusive, healthy, engaged, and resilient
cities.

2015 INTRODUCTION
Our conference aim is to mine the imaginative realm for
potential solutions that position us to transcend our existing
mode of urban existence and take us far beyond towards the
realization of a radically new system iteration, one that
reflects a more balanced and mutually supportive relationship
with the natural world.  It will attract local, national, and
international participants, drawn from the academic,
professional, public service, business, and interdisciplinary
realms.

THEMES
The following three proposed conference themes have been
developed to organize the scholarly research and
presentations.  However, any relevant abstract will be
considered for acceptance in an open category.

Resilience
Cities will need long-term visions in order to develop
socio-economic, spatial and technical solutions-governance,
policy and planning, developing and managing infrastructure,
business tactics and incentive, research and development
incentives, information and education that will enable them to
remain resilient and ready for our current and future
challenges.

Livability
The desirability of urban living depends upon cities to
deliver the highest possible quality of life through
community, security, meaningful employment, mobility,
recreation, health, and well-being. This can only be achieved
when social and environmental standards are understood not as
a hierarchy of importance that privileges planetary needs over
the needs of humans. They need to be understood as
inextricably interconnected and interdependent, in order to
provide meaningful and mutually supportive relationships
within the larger ecosystem.

Adaptive Capacity
Whereas urban centres are well suited to creating employment
and financial resources, they also consume a great deal of
energy and non-renewable earth resources and produce a
significant amount of harmful waste by-products in
accomplishing this benefit. It is time for urban centres to
find ways to generate more usable energy and resources than
they consume and to only produce waste that can easily be
absorbed and contribute to the overall health and
sustainability of the larger ecosystem to which they belong.
It is hoped that new insights, creativity, and inspiration
drawn from the complex dynamics that support balanced, healthy
ecosystems will stimulate unconventional, holistic and
innovative approaches towards achieving a truly viable future.

Urban Ecologies 2015 invites proposals for consideration in
two categories:
- Abstracts for oral or poster presentations that describe
topical practice-based research activities.
- Proposals for interactive workshops that create topical
collaborative learning opportunities for conference
participants.

PAPER PROPOSALS
Presentation abstract proposals must consist of the following:
- A 400-word description of the practice-based research
activities to be presented.
- A single figure--drawing, diagram or image--that represents
these activities visually.

The online submission procedure will provide specific text and
image formats, the opportunity to select the most applicable
conference theme, and the opportunity to select the types of
presentation for which you would like to be considered.

Evaluation will be based on the clarity of the abstract, the
quality of the practice-based research described, relevance to
the conference themes, and adherence to the guidelines.

WORKSHOP PROPOSALS
A key component of Urban Ecologies 2015 will be interactive
workshops that create collaborative learning and knowledge
production opportunities for conference participants. Of
particular interest are workshops that provide tools for
engagement with urban ecology ideas that lie at the
intersection between conference themes. Workshops should be
designed to be approximately 1.5 hours in length.

Workshop proposals must consist of a document of no more than
two pages that summarizes the proposed activities under the
following headings:

- Workshop Objectives
- Activity Breakdown
- Learning Outcomes
- Interactive Opportunities
- Contact Information

Evaluation will be based on the quality of the interactive
learning opportunity provided and its relevance to the
conference themes. Prospective workshop facilitators are
encouraged to contact Urban Ecologies 2015 to discuss their
submission in advance of the deadline.

DISSEMINATION OPPORTUNITIES
All successful proposals will have the opportunity to be
included in a peer-reviewed knowledge dissemination
initiative, to be produced for the conference. Planning for a
future publishing initiative is currently underway and further
details will be available online in early 2015.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE
All proposals will undergo a blind evaluation process by a
diverse selection of internal and external reviewers chosen
for their thematic expertise.
All proposals must be submitted online.

Acceptance will begin in mid-January 2014 and will continue
until 17:00 EST on February 28, 2015. Authors will be notified
of submission status on or before March 15, 2015.

11-12 November 2015: Futurescan 3: Intersecting Identities
The Glasgow School of Art, UK

The identities of those employed within fashion and textiles
are multifaceted. In the higher education sector individuals
operate in complex roles as teachers, educators, facilitators,
instructors, mentors, supervisors, creative practitioners,
researchers, collaborators, coordinators, managers and
leaders, in a continually evolving system responsive to
external factors including the latest government agendas,
policy initiatives and industry developments. The fashion and
textiles industry is transient. Creative professionals work as
designers, artists, makers, colourists, stylists,
photographers, illustrators, technologists, futurologists,
curators, authors, historians, conservators, journalists,
buyers, marketers and publicists. It is commonplace for
individuals to associate with numerous intersecting identities
within the global fashion and textiles community. Therefore,
the Association of Fashion and Textile Courses (FTC) welcomes
submissions for its forthcoming conference Futurescan 3:
Intersecting Identities, which will provide an international
forum for dissemination of research surrounding fashion and
textiles. Submissions are encouraged regarding preliminary,
existing and completed projects that intersect around one of
the following themes:

- Education and Industry
- Research and Teaching
- History and Contemporary Practice
- Creative Practice and Theory
- Making and Technology
- Sustainability and Society
- Local and Global Communities

The conference is intended for educators, established and
early career researchers, postgraduate students, practitioners
and industry professionals.

Submissions with significant visual content are encouraged.
Contributors can elect from the following paper formats:

Full paper: 300-500 word abstract, 3000-5000 word paper,
20-minute conference presentation

Short paper: 200-300 word abstract, 1500-3000 word paper,
10-minute conference presentation

Please submit abstracts online at:
http://futurescan3.exordo.com/

Abstracts and papers will be double-blind peer reviewed.
Papers will be published in the post-conference publication,
with ISBN and online open access. Papers may also be selected
by editors for reworking and revising subject to normal review
processes in associated conference journals:

- Fashion Practice: The Journal of Design, Creative Process &
the Fashion Industry
- Journal of Textile Design Research and Practice

For conference enquires please email: [log in to unmask]

3-4 September 205: 16th European Conference on Knowledge
Management - ECKM 2015 being hosted by: The University of
Udine, Italy

This call will close on 12 February 2015.

Knowledge management has emerged in the last two decades as a
key activity for value creation as well as for economic and
social organizational memory building. Culture and
organizational learning, supported by modern information and
communication technologies, are responsible for multiple
knowledge leverage processes, which when properly managed
contribute to dynamic organizational sustainability. These and
other related topics will be discussed and explored at the
16th European Conference on Knowledge Management. This will be
an excellent opportunity to leverage our knowledge, to share
our experiences and to reinforce our academic and scientific
networks. Continuing the success of the ECKM conference series
since 2000, the 2015 conference will provide an international
communication forum bringing together academia and industry
for discussing the progress made and addressing the challenges
faced by continuous learning in knowledge-intensive
organizations.

Academic research, case studies and work-in-progress/posters
are welcomed approaches. PhD Research, proposals for
roundtable discussions, non-academic contributions and product
demonstrations based on the main themes are also invited.
Please feel free to circulate this message to any colleagues
or contacts you think may be interested.

Subject to author registration and payment, selected papers
will also be considered for publication in the Electronic
Journal of Knowledge Management. The Proceedings have an ISSN
and ISBN and will be submitted for indexing in the Thompson
Web of Science and Elsevier SCOPUS and Compendex.

In addition, papers that have been presented at the conference
will be considered for further development and publication in
special issues of:

Journal of Knowledge Management published by Emerald ISSN:
1367-3270 International Journal of Big Data Intelligence
published by Inderscience ISSN online: 2053-1397 ISSN print
205-1389

Springer Journal of the Knowledge Economy (JKEC) ISSN:
1868-7865 (print version) ISSN: 1868-7873 (electronic version)

http://academic-conferences.org/eckm/eckm2015/eckm15-call-
papers.htm

2-4 October 2015: Culture of Seduction [the seduction
of culture]
The second International Conference on Semiotics and Visual
Communication

Culture of Seduction [the seduction of culture], not
necessarily from a sexual perspective, but as a mechanism of
attraction and appeal has often been the case in many
communication strategies and approaches of mass and popular
culture. In a 'seduced' post-economic crisis environment, the
Semiotic aspects and power of 'seduction' within visual
communication, persuading the viewer to act by positive,
negative or perhaps manipulated and directed means, open up a
space where extremes become apparent and occasionally pose
ethical problems. According to Hegarty (2004), "[f]or
Baudrillard, seduction stands for play, the play of
appearances which has always prevented the existence of a
transparent reality, which would be free from the traps of
illusion, while allowing simulation of truth to
operate...seduction implies sexuality, but eroticism and play
have given way to visibility and omnipresence, everything is
now sexualized, [in Baudrillard's words] 'register[ing] an
explicit demand for seduction, but a soft seduction, whose
weakened condition has become synonymous with so much else in
this society-the ambience, the manipulation, the persuasion,
the gratification, the strategies of desire'".

From the avant-garde era to our contemporary period, there is
a spectrum of activity where artists and visual designers are
obliged to live and create in a situation of great
ambivalence. Seduction has historic and increasing agency in
visual communication - the requirement to entice/persuade
viewers is ever more powerful in difficult economic times, in
an increasingly hyper-real world-and designers become ever
more complicit in its strategies.

The purpose of this conference is to explore from a semiotic
perspective how verbal (text/typography), non-verbal (images),
sound and motion signs work in synergy to construct
'seductive' messages in visual communication, as well as
raising questions about who are the seducers and who are the
seduced? The field of Graphic Design and Visual communication
creates outcomes which can be de-coded or critiqued through
semiotics and the growing area of design theory. Proposals for
individual papers, approximately 20 min. long, are invited on
the following main themes:

1 Current strategies of economic visual communication (any
products or commercial/social services promoted to consumers).
A comparison to seduction techniques and strategies of the
'old' industrial period of capitalism would be especially
interesting.

2 Current seductive Strategies of political propaganda and
visual communication. Seductive mechanisms in a variety
aspects of Visual Design, Fashion, Jewelery or Interior.
Audio-Visual Communication and the seductive mechanisms of
Sound, Text, Camera and Editing in Films and Mass Media.

3 Current enticing advertising strategies using women's or
men's sexuality. Can we speak about a 'dramatic' re-evaluation
of the Post-industrial era's libido? How is 'aspiration'
codified? How is psychology used within visual communication?
What do we learn from this and does it/should it affect future
practice?

http://icsvc-conference.com

7-8 September 2015: Material Culture in Action:Practices of
making, collecting and re-enacting art and design
Glasgow School of Art, UK

This two-day international conference will investigate new
directions in material culture studies by focusing on
creative, critical and theoretical engagement with the
material culture of art and design, both within and beyond the
art school. The material culture of art and design covers a
wide range of art practices, from professionally designed
works within the art school, to the less official works of the
self-taught amateur. An emphasis on processes means paying
close attention to places of production; from the art school,
the studio, the print workshop, the pressing plant, the
factory, the street, to the discrete - yet equally significant
- realms of domestic life. Although places of consumption and
display have been readily mapped out in academic and
non-academic literature (Attfield 2007; Bronner 1989; Zola
1883), little has been written about the eminently complex
environment of the studio and the art school.As such,
the aim of this conference is to discuss these under-explored
areas in material culture studies. For instance, traditional
approaches fail to fully engage with the multi-materialities
and 'plasticity' or flexibility of works of art and design, or
with the affective resonances of objects (Andrews and
O'Sullivan 2013; Moran and O'Brien 2014). We would like to
engage more explicitly and more closely with the sensorial
aspects of the object and realms of seeing, touching, hearing,
making. By recentering our attention on material practices and
processes, on artists and makers, we may be able to reconcile
the study of material culture with that of affect and
aesthetics--and politics.We hope to generate a
cross-disciplinary dialogue, engaging theorists and artists,
thinkers, makers and collectors/connoisseurs of objects.

We will welcome proposals for 20-minute papers, 60-minute
panels and 5-minute poster presentations, from researchers and
practitioners. 300-word abstracts and short biographical notes
- as well as any enquiries - should be sent to Dr Frances
Robertson ([log in to unmask]) and Dr Elodie Roy
([log in to unmask]) before the 15th of March 2015. Candidates
will be informed of the outcomes in April 2015.
We hope to publish a selection of conference
papers in an edited book.

23-24 April 2015: COLOR/FORMS

The Twenty-Fourth Annual Parsons/Cooper Hewitt Graduate
Student Symposium on the History of Design
Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, New York.

Coloration is intrinsic to the social meanings of objects.
Colors shape our interaction with things and other people in
fundamental ways; they can appeal to our most visceral senses
of pleasure or desire. Colors affect behaviors, and we use
colors metaphorically to describe attitudes, feelings and
moods. In the world of consumer goods, the need to produce
certain colors has driven innovations in mechanical processes,
and markets can rise and fall based on color trends.

This symposium is seeking papers on the forms color takes and
the roles color plays in the meanings of design and the
decorative arts since the Renaissance. We are especially
interested in research that touches on moments of change: for
example, on transitions from monochrome to full-color
production, or when particular colors became available,
fashionable or unfashionable.

Areas of investigation might involve:

Graphic design and broadcast media--e.g. color printing in
lithographs, newspapers and magazines; day-glo color inks and
psychedelic design; Technicolor and other cinematic color
systems; the advent of color television; etc.

Fashion and costume studies--e.g. color, or lack thereof, in
menswear; aniline dyes and other technologies of coloration;
color forecasting; etc.

Industrial design--e.g. colored plastics; anodized aluminum;
the color of high technology (silver, black, white, beige) or
domestic appliances; color theory and consumer choice;
color-customizable products; colors in toys; etc.

Decorative arts--e.g. hand-painted and printed colors
ceramics; tapestry, color-changing fabrics and other textiles;
polychromy in sculpture; etc.

Architecture and interior design--e.g. colored exterior
lighting; psychologies of colored interiors; wallpapers; white
cities and exhibition architecture; etc.

...or any number of related fields of production and
consumption.

Proposals are welcome from graduate students at any level in
fields such as History of the Decorative Arts, History of
Design, Curatorial Studies, Design Studies, Art History,
History of Architecture, Design and Technology, Media Studies,
Consumer Studies, Cultural Anthropology, Sociology, and other
fields.

The symposium's Catherine Hoover Voorsanger Keynote speaker
will be Jeffrey L. Meikle, Stiles Professor in American
Studies and Professor of Art History at the University of
Texas at Austin, speaking on Postcard Modernism: Landscapes,
Cityscapes, and American Visual Culture, 1931-1950. Dr. Meikle
is one of the leading voices in design history and cultural
history. His renown scholarship extends to industrial design
and technology, popular print media, and alternative cultures
from 1950 to the present. His books include Twentieth Century
Limited: Industrial Design in America, 1925-1939 (1982);
American Plastic: A Cultural History (1995); and Design in the
USA (2005).

The Keynote will be on Thursday evening, April 23, 2015 and
the symposium sessions will be in the morning and afternoon on
Friday, April 24.

To submit a proposal, send a two-page abstract, one-page
bibliography and a c.v. to: Ethan Robey Associate Director, MA
Program in the History of Design and Curatorial Studies

Deadline for proposals: January 26, 2015

12 May - 6 June 2015: DESIGN LATITUDES: An exhibition mapping
the innovations, influences and future directions of design
studies in the north

Location: Fine Arts Building Gallery, University of Alberta,
Edmonton (53.53* N), Canada

Deadline for Proposals: 6 February 2015

The Design Latitudes exhibition explores shifts of 'latitude'
and frontiers of 'north' in relation to our interdisciplinary
Design Studies program at the University of Alberta, which
connects design education to research, practice, industry and
community engagement. 'Latitude' encompasses both geographical
context as well as breadth of freedom of action or thought.
'North' is bordered geographically, framed in opposition, and
conceptualized through a diversity of lenses, experiences and
spaces. This exhibition will reflect on, articulate and
critique aspects of design education by documenting our past,
situating our present and envisioning our future
possibilities. Beyond looking at the legacy and prospects of
our own program, we hope that Design Latitudes will generate
dialogue and debate on how to equip designers to meet the
needs of communities in the north and beyond.

We invite submissions from students, graduates, faculty,
instructors and design professionals affiliated with or
connected in any way to Design Studies in Industrial Design
and Visual Communication Design at the University of Alberta.

We are seeking innovative submissions that challenge,
conceptualize, critique, embody, examine, explore,
interrogate, propose, reflect on and reveal a wide array of
frameworks for design studies in the 'north'. We imagine
submissions of student, professional, research and community
design work that could include print, digital, time-based,
motion, installation, interactive, 3D and integrated formats
and media. We also welcome work that aligns to the general
call that we have not yet imagined.

IMPORTANT DATES 6 February 2015: Deadline for proposals

13 February 2015: Notification of adjudication results

17 April 2015: Deadline for sending accepted projects for
inclusion in the exhibition

21 May 2015: Reception from 7 pm to 10 pm at the Fine Arts
Building Gallery

www.designlatitudes.ca

Critical Studies in Men's Fashion call for papers Special
Focus Issue: The Impact of 'Queer' and 'Gay' on Men's Fashion
Dr. Alex Bitterman, Guest Editor

Critical Studies in Men's Fashion is currently accepting
submissions for a special focus issue on the impact of 'queer'
and 'gay' on men's fashion. The deadline to submit a
manuscript for this focus issue is 15 May 2015.

Contributions are welcome from all disciplines including:
fashion studies, anthropology, art, art history, design,
business, consumer studies, cultural studies, economics,
gender studies, human- ities, literature, marketing,
psychology, queer studies, religion, sociology, and textiles.
Diverse methods including critical analysis, reportage,
quantitative analysis, qualitative analysis and arts methods
are accepted.

Potential topics for this focus issue are broad, but may
include:

Meterosexuality

Gender-specific clothing typologies

Explorations of gender 'appropriateness' and identity in men's
fashion

The perception of stereotype in men's fashion

Transitioning between 'queer' and mainstream culture

Profiles of prominent gay fashion designers

Investigations in differences between fashion culture for gay
men vs. straight men

Defining and breaking barriers defined by sexual orientation
relative to men's fashion

All manuscripts will undergo double blind peer review.
Articles will be selected on their content, scholarship, and
technical quality. The content must be in line with the vision
of the journal in advancing scholarship on men and appearance.

All submissions must follow Intellect's house style for
review. Attached and at: http://www.
intellectbooks.co.uk/MediaManager/File/Intellect%20style%
20guide.pdf Manuscripts should be approximately 5000 words and
use British spelling. It is the author's responsibility to
clear image rights usage if images are included in the
manuscript.

Please send submissions and queries to :

Dr. Alex Bitterman, Guest Editor or [log in to unmask]
Dr. Andy Reilly, Principal Editor [log in to unmask]

16-18 September 2015: 2nd Call for Contributions:
4th International Visual Methods conference

The University of Brighton is delighted to host the Fourth
International Visual Methods Conference in September 2015. Our
programme builds on the foundations laid by the three
successful Visual Methods conferences that have taken place at
the Open University and the University of Leeds in the UK and
at Victoria University in Wellington New Zealand over the past
six years.

Deadline for panels and 'other' contributions: 16th January
2015

Deadline for papers: 30th January 2015

We are very pleased to announce two confirmed keynote
speakers: Professor Gillian Rose, Professor of Cultural
Geography, Open University and Joe Lambert, Executive Director
of the Center for Digital Storytelling.
Rose G (2012) Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to
Interpreting Visual Materials, third edition, Sage.
Lambert J (2013) Digital Storytelling: Capturing Lives,
Creating Community, fourth edition, Routledge.

Background

We invite you to help build on the foundations laid down in
the Visual Methods series so far. This event will deepen and
extend the exchange of ideas and approaches across disciplines
and between visual research and visual practices. The
conference will include a combination of keynote
presentations, panels and papers, alongside workshops,
screenings and exhibitions.

We welcome proposals exploring any of these areas:

- Visual Methods and Research Design
- Approaches to analyzing visual data
- Data visualisation
- Researcher created visual data
- Arts based visual research methods
- Visual ethics
- Visual culture and visual methods
- Participatory visual methods

The core of our programme is built on three open strands
designed to capture strong proposals:

-  Narrative and Visual Methods
-  Exploring Digital Visual Methodologies
-  Critical Perspectives on Visual Methodologies

We will supplement this with two focused strands engaging
directly with local research interests within the University
of Brighton- The first is on Digital Storytelling: Form and
Practice where the University has a range of research
interests and a second exploring the visual navigation and
articulation of place- We therefore invite scholars and other
visual practitioners to submit proposals for panels, papers or
other types of contributions in one of the conference themes.

Instructions for Panels

A panel will comprise a chair or commentator and either a call
for three or four presentations, or a confirmed set of
panellists- Each panel will be provisionally allocated a 90
minutes session in the programme, which will be confirmed when
a full panel has been registered.

To submit a panel proposal we invite you to provide a title
and abstract addressing one of the conference themes- The
panel abstract must not exceed 400 words and, if appropriate-
It should include an email address for proposals to be sent
to, supported by a short biography of the person(s) submitting
and chairing the panel (up to 200 words, including affiliation
and recent publications, activities)- Panel chairs are
responsible for selecting material for their sessions-
Alternatively, it is possible to submit complete panel
proposals, in this case as well as a title and abstract for
the panel, paper titles and abstracts should be presented,
along with biographical details of all presenters- Each Panel
session will be given final approval by the Programming
Committee. The deadline for panel submissions is 16th January
2015- Late proposals will not be considered- These should be
sent by email to [log in to unmask] Submissions
should be double-spaced and in Verdana Font no less than size
12.

Panel organizers will be notified of the decision regarding
their proposals by 28th February 2015- We expect to commission
five Panels under each theme with the balance being kept open
for open submissions

Instructions for Papers

Abstracts for proposed papers should address one of the
conference themes in 250 words and be submitted as a MS Word
file or RTF Format (not in the body of an email)- Submissions
should be double-spaced and in Verdana Font no less than size
12.

- A title of no more than 15 words which provides useful
pointers on the key topics to be discussed
- Five key words
- A short biography of a maximum 35 words

Where a significant portion of the presentation involves
images, choose three (3) representative stills or a video
section encoded to no more than 4Mb in total and attach this
to your email.

All submitted material should list your name, institution
and/or organisational affiliation (if any); your paper or
session title, and any media support required- In both your
file name and email subject line, please include: [IVM4; Paper
or Session and Family Name]

Please send to [log in to unmask] by 30th January
2015- Late proposals will not be considered-  All proposals
will be reviewed by the Programming Committee and responded to
by 20th February 2015.

Instructions for Other Contributions

We would welcome ideas for other forms or contribution,
including but not limited to Panels adopting a different
approach, for example as participatory workshops seminars,
exhibitions, films, public art or similar-  Proposals should
address one of the conference themes in 250 words and be
submitted as a MS Word file or RTF Format (not in the body of
an email) with five supporting images, if appropriate-
Proposals in this strand may come from academics,
practitioners or policy makers. Submissions should be
double-spaced and in Verdana Font no less than size 12- Please
contact [log in to unmask] with questions on this
strand and proposals should be submitted by 16th January 2015-
Members of the organizing team will work with successful
applicants to realize their project.

Late proposals will not be considered.

Registration

Panel organizers and presenters of selected papers must
register for the conference by 31st May 2015.

If you would like to be kept informed of when registration is
open, please email: [log in to unmask]

http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/whats-on/tg/sallis-benney-events/
theater-events-2015/september/4th-international-visual-methods
-conference-2015

DeSForM 2015: Long and short papers due January 15, 2015

we would like to remind you that the deadline for the
submission of papers and interactive demos for the DeSForM
2015 conference Aesthetics of Interaction | Dynamic,
Multisensory, Wise is on January 15, 2015. The works
traditionally presented at DeSForM investigate the evolving
nature of design artifacts and how new forms or objects
aesthetics convey meaning.  We aim to discuss the potential,
the limits, and the constraints of designing intriguing
experiences with technology-affected artifacts (be they
tangible, virtual or intangible).   We will also explore the
balance of aesthetics, ethics, meaning, and emotion in design.

Contributions to DeSForM 2015 may fall under (but are not
limited to) the following themes:

Tangible, smart, and dynamic objects: how the new aesthetics
affects meaning and experience;

Designing and virtualizing the multisensory product
experience;

From smart to wise: toward a new conception of digital
products and services.

Politecnico di Milano will host the conference in October
2015, during the Expo 2015 worlds fair.

Dates and deadlines:

January 15, 2015: Deadline for paper submission;
March 16, 2015: Notification of acceptance, conference
registration opens;
April 16, 2015: Camera-ready papers due, early bird
registration deadline;
September 14, 2015: Standard registration deadline.

Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy, October 13-17, 2015

www.desform2015.polimi.it

7-10 June 2015: Design Ecologies
Challenging anthropocentrism in the design of sustainable
futures Konstfack  University College of Arts, Crafts and
Design. Stockholm, Sweden

Call for Submissions

Design hinges a natural-artificial continuum through humans
natural capacity to produce what we call the artificial. At a
time when human activity is threatening biodiversity and
causing severe climate change, it becomes obvious that natural
and artificial systems can no longer be conceived in isolation
but only in relation to each other  or indeed as one.

The coupling of natural and artificial systems poses
challenges due to its complexity and partly reveals the
anthropocentrism that has traditionally characterised design.
Several questions arise in this context. How can design
practices embrace pluralism by recognising, in the
manifestation of design itself, biological as well as cultural
diversity? In other words, how do we in design, and beyond,
move from the kind of ego-system we seem to be so trapped in
towards the kind of eco-system everyone and everything can
gain from? How are designers, educators and researchers of
design currently engaging with these challenges, and how might
or should they engage with them in the near future? Designers
in Scandinavia have shaped and influenced many local human
societies to an important extent through a legacy of
democratic and user-centred values. How can these be extended
to acknowledge and celebrate humans cohabitation on a global
scale to also include the myriad of all other existing species
and systems at alternative scales in time and space? How can
the various design practices be genuinely sensitive to
ecological complexity? And how can they be understood,
designed and studied in relation to each other  or indeed as a
whole?

Addressing these issues and many others, the Design Ecologies
conference includes the following tracks:

Design and Approaches for Sustainability.

Design for Sustainability as we know it and as we might
imagine it. This track is for both case studies we can learn
from and more speculative alternative approaches. We
especially invite submissions that scrutinize the tensions,
and possible bridging, between: (i) radical and more
incremental solutions, (ii) local and more global approaches
and (iii) a non-anthropocentric versus a more anthropocentric
design approach.

Design as a Political Agent.

Critical or Discursive Design as we know it and as we might
imagine it. We especially encourage submissions that
scrutinize the tensions, and possible bridging, between
approaches that nurture a more critical versus a more
constructive discourse.

Design and Sustainable Businesses.

Business- and management-driven design as we know it and as we
might imagine it. We especially invite submissions that
address the tensions, and possible bridging, between designing
for (and running a business in) a growth versus a non- or
post-growth economy.

Design and Sustainable Technologies.

Technology-driven design as we know it and as we might imagine
it. We especially invite submissions that address the
tensions, and possible bridging, between designing for a
specified technology versus facilitating the design of
plausible technologies for a specified goal.

Design and its Educations.

Sustainability in design educations as we know it and as we
might imagine it. How can design education support students to
become critical and creative in the light of the challenges
that un/sustainability poses? We invite submissions that
engage in visionary pedagogical approaches at all levels and
especially those exploring the tension between ego- versus
eco-awareness and the possibilities of bridging perspectives
from both the Global North and South.

Design and its Wild Cards.

What kind of hidden cards does design carry up its sleeve?
This track is for all the papers that do not fit easily into
the other themes. So dont worry; we have a place for you that
is more comfortable than rejection even if it might be not a
perfect fit. While having very open criteria, we especially
invite submissions that tackle failures, tensions and
complexities with a critical and provocative but also a
constructive view. To conclude, this additional track is for
papers that are uncomfortable but worthy.

In order to develop the theme of Design Ecologies we invite a
variety of disciplines to make contributions: full papers,
exploratory papers, workshops, exhibitions and a doctoral
consortium. Whilst being primarily underpinned by a core of
established design and design research, NORDES also welcomes
all new design voices  including perspectives ranging from the
humanities to physics, from ethnography to art, from
engineering to marketing. Papers may cover experimental and
exploratory research approaches to design and the production
of knowledge. Papers may also be based on historical,
biological, geographical or philosophical studies that make
qualified contributions to the field in terms of insights,
concepts and ideas. Submissions are subject to an anonymous
peer review process. Accepted contributions will be published
electronically in No 6 (2015): NORDES 2015: Design Ecologies,
ISSN: 1604-9705, and will be available on the conference
website prior to the conference.

All submissions should be in English. All submissions are
subject to a double-blind peer review by at least two
reviewers. Accepted contributions should be revised according
to the review reports and the language should be checked by a
native English speaker.

Invited submissions

Full papers

Full papers must be of the highest international standard and
contribute significantly to research and practice within
design. Nordes 2015 aims to be a multidisciplinary forum for
emerging and current research areas that influence the various
design disciplines. Full papers should be a maximum of ten
pages including illustrations, figures and references. We
encourage the use of visual material if the submissions.
Papers will undergo double-blind peer reviews and accepted
papers will be presented in the conference programme and
published in the conference proceedings. The proceedings will
be available as an open-access online database during and
after the conference.

Exploratory papers

We invite the submission of exploratory papers that include
design cases, position papers, work in progress, and emerging
new research areas that may as yet lack solid theoretical
foundations but point towards exciting new directions for
design research. Exploratory papers should be a maximum of
four pages including illustrations and references. We
encourage the use of visual material if the submissions.
Exploratory papers will undergo double-blind peer reviews and
accepted papers will be published in the conference
proceedings. The proceedings will be made available as an
open-access online database during and after the conference.

Workshops

Workshops will enjoy a central position at Nordes 2015. The
ambition is to create common experiences and to provide a
variety of platforms for exchanging new ideas. A workshop
proposal should be a maximum of two pages and state its
purpose, a tentative programme for the day (or half a day),
how attendees are accepted for participating in the workshop
(e.g. through artefacts or position papers or just by signing
up), and the requirements for the physical setting and
materials.

Exhibitions

Through the Nordes 2015 exhibition we wish to explore ways in
which the display of works of art, craft and design can become
a prominent venue for exchanging ideas and understanding.
Artists, designers and researchers will be able to present
their work to the conference attendees in dedicated exhibition
sessions. We invite submissions of artefacts, installations
and performances documented via pictures, videos or links to
websites. A two-page paper explaining how the exhibition
artefact relates to the conferences overall theme of
experimentation should accompany each submission. Papers and
visual documentation will be included in the conference
proceedings and made available through an open-access online
database during and after the conference.

Doctoral consortium

The doctoral consortium is an opportunity for doctoral
students to receive feedback on their projects from some of
the prominent researchers and fellow doctoral students within
the field of design research. It is also an excellent chance
to get to know others in the same situation or to meet again
after last years NORDES summer school. The doctoral consortium
will take place immediately before the formal opening of the
conference. Participants will be chosen based on the quality
of their submissions. Submissions should be a maximum of four
pages and can be published in the proceedings if the doctoral
student wishes it. The proceedings will be made available as
an open-access online database during and after the
conference.

Important dates:

7  10 June 2015: Conference (Sunday  Wednesday)
1 December 2014: Submission system opens
7 January 2015: Submission deadline
20 March 2015: Author notification
20 April 2015: Submission of final versions

http://nordes.org/nordes2015

2015 IDEA Journal: call for submissions

Academics, research students and practitioners are invited to
submit design research papers and critical project works that
make a contribution to the discipline of interior
design/interior architecture through an engagement with the
provocation of URBAN + INTERIOR for the IDEA JOURNAL 2015.
http://idea-edu.com/journal/2015-idea-journal/

EDITORS

Suzie Attiwill (RMIT University, Australia)
Luciano Crespi (Politecnico di Milano, Italy)
Davide Fassi (Politecnico di Milano, Italy; Tongji University,
China)
Elena Enrica Giunta (Politecnico di Milano, Italy)
Belen Hermida (Universidad CEU San Pablo, Spain)

PROVOCATION

Unprecedented movements of people, growth in population
density and forces of capitalism and globalism shape the
twenty-first century urban environment and transform how
people live in the world - spatially, temporally and
subjectively. In the disciplines of interior design, interior
architecture, architecture, spatial design and urban design,
one encounters the coupling of the conditions of 'urban' and
'interior' with increasing frequency. Urban interior, interior
urbanization, urban interiority and urban interior design are
used as provocations for designing, teaching and writing -
researching and thinking - in cities and cultures as diverse
as Milan, Madrid, Melbourne, Jakarta, Austin, London,
Stockholm, Bangkok, Singapore and Bogota.

While some might see this as the bringing together of vastly
distinct conditions and scales, the conjunction - urban and
interior - seeks to engage the potential of practices and
techniques of disciplines concerned with interior and urbanism
in new ways involving multi-scalar, multi-cultural,
multi-discipline approaches. A rethinking of the concept of
interior is invited where the defining characteristics of
enclosure, form and structure are opened to other
possibilities than an equation with the inside of a building.
'Interior' is introduced here in an expanded sense. A thinking
differently about urbanism and the concept of 'urban' is also
invoked.

The question of, and conjunction of, urban + interior is a
critical one in the contemporary context where the
inhabitation of urban environments and cities has exceeded the
population living in rural areas. We are keen to explore this
condition through actual proposals, scenarios and solutions
that address the challenges, as well as historical,
anthropological, sociological and epistemological reflections.

The aspiration for this forthcoming issue of the IDEA JOURNAL
is to gather this emerging trajectory composed of practices,
techniques, and genealogies for future practice. With our call
for submissions, we have not specified research questions or
positioned in advance what, how, when or why 'urban' and
'interior' are/might be connected. Our strategy is to be open
to what comes in and from this make an arrangement of
connections where the potential of urban + interior can be
grasped, offered up and discussed.

The conjunctions, conversations and debates have already
begun. The editorial approach for this issue of the IDEA
JOURNAL is different to the individual guest editor of
previous issues. Five people from three cities are already in
discussion about this emerging trajectory of urban + interior:
Suzie Attiwill from Melbourne and the research group Urban
Interior Laboratory; Davide Fassi, Luciano Crespi and Elena
Enrica Giunta from Politecnico di Milano - Design Department
and Belen Hermida from University CEU San Pablo in Madrid -
who are co-directors and co-coordinators of [MUID] the
International Master in Urban Interior Design, a program that
is offered between POLI.Design in Milano and University CEU
San Pablo in Madrid. And now we would like to invite others
who are researching urban + interior - through design and
projects, through historical and theoretical research, through
teaching - to contribute and participate!

THE IDEA JOURNAL ACCEPTS:

DESIGN RESEARCH PAPERS

that demonstrate development and engagement with interior
design/interior architecture history, theory, education and
practice through critique and synthesis. The focus is on the
documentation and critical review of both speculative research
and practice-based research

REFEREED STUDIOS

that present the nature and outcomes of refereed design
studios which have either been previously peer reviewed in
situ and/or critically discussed through text and imagery for
the IDEA JOURNAL

PROJECT REVIEWS

that critically evaluate design-based works which seek to
expand the nature of spatial, temporal and theoretical
practice in interior design/interior architecture and
associated disciplines.

VISUAL ESSAYS

that demonstrate and present speculative research and
practice-based research through visual media. For examples of
visual essays please refer to previous issues of the IDEA
JOURNAL - for example, the visual essay by Sara Bomans and
Remco Roes 'Nothing will come of nothing, speak again' (
http://idea-edu.com/journal/2013-idea-journal/).

BOOK & EXHIBITION REVIEWS

to encourage debate into the emerging literature dedicated to
the expression and expansion of the theory and practice of
interior design/interior architecture.

REGISTRATION OF INTEREST:

Authors are invited to register their interest in making a
submission - please visit
http://idea-edu.com/journal/2015-idea-journal/ and register
via online form. It is important to note that the registration
of interest is not refereed; acknowledgement of registration
facilitates development of a proposal to full research paper,
refereed studio, visual essay or project review by providing
formatting guidelines and publication standards to
registrants. Registrations of interest will be responded to
within one week of receipt. Authors are encouraged to register
sooner than later.

Any queries please contact Suzie Attiwill (executive editor)
on email: [log in to unmask] or phone +61 03 9925 3498

Important deadlines/dates:

Call for contributions: November 2014 to March 2015.
Registration of interest including 50 words and image will be
acknowledged within one week of sending.
Submission of full draft for review by April 30 2015.
Peer review process: May to June 2015.
Notification to authors of acceptance late July 2015.
Revisions by author(s) returned to Executive Editor by 30
September 2015.
Journal published early 2016.

IDEA JOURNAL is published by IDEA (Interior Design / Interior
Architecture Educators Association). ACN 135 337 236

ANNOUNCEMENTS

NEW PHD PORTAL ON JOBS.AC.UK

From PhD programmes and studentships to professional
doctorates, jobs.ac.uk has launched a dedicated new PhD portal
for postgraduates where you can search for your ideal PhD.

Last year we advertised over 5,500 PhD opportunities for
universities and research institutions throughout the UK,
Europe and beyond. This year we have introduced new filters to
make finding PhDs on jobs.ac.uk even easier including:

- Qualification type
- Discipline and sub-category
- Funding amount and eligibility
- Provider
- Location

www.jobs.ac.uk/phd

Announcing the latest publication of Design and
Culture , the Journal of the Design Studies Forum

Design and Culture
Volume 06, Issue 03 | November 2014
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bloomsbury/dgcj/2014/
00000006/00000003

ARTICLES

Law as a Lens for Understanding Design | Carma Gorman
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/dsf/wp-content/uploads/2014/
11/gorman_wm2.pdf

Danish Design: Legal Restrictions and Creative Responses |
Stina Teilmann-Lock
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/journal-articles/danish-
design-legal-restrictions-and-creative-responses/

Proliferating Platforms, the Logical Layer, and the Normative
Language Gap: Contemporary Conflicts in Creativity and
Intellectual Property | Zachary Kaiser and Aviva Meridian
Kaiser
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/journal-articles/
proliferating-platforms-the-logical-layer-and-the-normative-
language-gap-contemporary-conflicts-in-creativity-and-
intellectual-property/

Redefining Design Ethics: Why Graphic Design Needs
Professional Self-Regulation | Phil McCollam
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/journal-articles/redefining-
design-ethics-why-graphic-design-needs-professional-self-
regulation/

Social Design and Neocolonialism | Cinnamon L. Janzer and
Lauren Stacey Weinstein
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/journal-articles/social-
design-and-neocolonialism/

Positioning Design Studies: An Institutional Challenge |
Stuart Kendall
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/journal-articles/positioning
-design-studies-an-institutional-challenge/

Philip Johnson: Full Scale, False Scale | Jeffrey Lieber
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/journal-articles/philip-
johnson-full-scale-false-scale/

Domesticating the Global: Sign Writing and Visual Culture in
Lusaka, Zambia | Arden Stern
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/journal-articles/
domesticating-the-global-sign-writing-and-visual-culture-in-
lusaka-zambia/

'Splainin' Craft: Bringing the Making into Writing | Denise
Gonzales Crisp
http://www.designstudiesforum.org/journal-articles/splainin-
craft-bringing-the-making-into-writing/

EXHIBITION REVIEWS

Artists Space: Books & Talks | Reviewed by Aaris Sherin

BOOK REVIEWS

Dianne Harris, Little White Houses: How the Postwar Home
Constructed Race in America | Reviewed by Grace Lees-Maffei

Anne Burdick, Johanna Drucker, Peter Lunenfeld, Todd Presner,
and Jeffrey Schnapp, Digital_Humanities | Reviewed by Jeffrey
L. Meikle

DESIGN-FICTION

Design Fiction Discussion

A list for discussing issues around design fiction research
and practice.

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/design-fiction

Constructing Knowledge Art: An Experiential Perspective on
Crafting Participatory representations
Al Selvin, Verizon Communications

Simon Buckingham Shum, University of Technology Sydney,
Australia Paperback ISBN: 9781627052597, $55.00 eBook ISBN:
9781627052603 October 2014, 119 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.2200/S00593ED1V01Y201408HCI023

Abstract

This book is about how people (we refer to them as
practitioners) can help guide participants in creating
representations of issues or ideas, such as collaborative
diagrams, especially in the context of Participatory Design
(PD). At its best, such representations can reach a very high
level of expressiveness and usefulness, an ideal we refer to
as Knowledge Art. Achieving that level requires effective
engagement, often aided by facilitators or other
practitioners. Most PD research focuses on tools and methods,
or on participant experience. The next source of advantage is
to better illuminate the role of practitioners-the people
working with participants, tools, and methods in service of a
project's larger goals. Just like participants, practitioners
experience challenges, interactions, and setbacks, and come up
with creative ways to address them while maintaining their
stance of service to participants and stakeholders. Our
research interest is in understanding what moves and choices
practitioners make that either help or hinder participants'
engagement with representations. We present a theoretical
framework that looks at these choices from the experiential
perspectives of narrative, aesthetics, ethics, sensemaking and
improvisation and apply it to five diverse case studies of
actual practice.

http://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/abs/10.2200/
S00593ED1V01Y201408HCI023

27 February 2015: GLAD: Controversy and Conformity - 25 years
of transforming the academy

Call for Proposals to offer papers and or Workshop at the GLAD
Conference 2015
Venue: Sheffield Institute of Arts, Sheffield Hallam
University

The Group for Learning in Art and Design was formed twenty
five years ago in response to changes in higher education
which were to impact on how art and design was taught in
higher and further education and specialist art schools. Early
changes, such as modularisation, the massification of higher
education, widening participation and the development of
postgraduate courses brought both challenges and
opportunities, which were the focus of much debate. The
controversial, 'different' and indicative of a discipline
reluctant to conform. More recently the introduction of
student fees and then higher fees, competition for students,
internationalisation, employability, REF, NSS and a focus on
the student experience continues to shape how we teach art and
design, where we teach and how students learn. These are the
key drivers for all disciplines. So, have we transformed the
academy or has the academy transformed art and design?

This conference offers the opportunity for academic staff,
technical staff and research students to consider the purpose
and value of art and design pedagogy in an increasingly
complex, fast-paced environment and the space to reflect and
learn from past experiences, in order to develop strategies,
practices and techniques for the future.

http://www.gladhe.org.uk/conferences/

5 March 2015: Entrepreneurship in fashion: student, academic
and industry perspectives
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh

You are invited to a conference next March, organised by
Heriot-Watt University on behalf of The Enterprise of Culture:
International Structures and Connections in the Fashion
Industry

This public conference in Edinburgh will explore the changing
structure of the European fashion business, with reference to
the fashion intermediaries who work behind the scenes to run
the fashion system. Moving beyond the great designer focus in
much of the literature on European fashion, Entrepreneurship
in fashion: student, academic and industry perspectives

http://www.enterpriseofculture.leeds.ac.uk/upcoming-events/
fashion-design-entr epreneurs-overcoming-growth-challenges

examines the business professionals who ensure that fashion
brands connect to the larger culture.

The conference will take the idea of fashion entrepreneurship
and consider it in two slightly novel ways:

First, the day will give a platform for students, researching
academics and active industry practitioners to offer their
respective voices on what they consider to be the areas that
deserve attention when it comes to academia.

The second area of novelty relates to those voices: they will
not necessarily be rejoicing in the heroism of individual
fashion designers and large companies, as is so often
portrayed. Instead this conference will present some of the
essential yet more rarely considered areas such as
merchandising, buying, blogging, store design, digital
innovation and more. As is the mission of the *Enterprise of
Culture* project, there will also be an historical flavour to
the day which complements these contemporary ideas.

We will welcome some of the best undergraduate fashion
research currently taking place in Europe alongside
influential industry entrepreneurs and leading academics. The
principal aim of this conference is to engage multiple
perspectives around the exciting concept of entrepreneurship
in fashion and welcome thoughts, ideas and debate from the
public, the industry and the research world.

Open to anyone with an interest in the business history of
fashion, the conference will bring together academics, fashion
industry practitioners, students, archivists, museum curators,
and wider public audiences.  The conference is free but
booking is essential as places are limited. See here
<http://www.enterpriseofculture.leeds.ac.uk/upcoming-events/
fashion-design-entr
epreneurs-overcoming-growth-challenges/booking-information/>
for booking information.

Further details are available on the project website

http://www.enterpriseofculture.leeds.ac.uk/upcoming-events/
fashion-design-entr epreneurs-overcoming-growth-challenges

Should you wish a copy of the full programme to be emailed to
you once it is available, please email

FORMakademisk - New Issue Published: Relating Systems Thinking
and Design I

https://journals.hioa.no/index.php/formakademisk

This issue, Relating Systems Thinking and Design I - Practical
Advances in Systemic Design, along with Issue 7:4, Relating
Systems Thinking II - Theoretical Evolution in Systemic
Design, together form a double special issue of FORMakademisk
on the theory and practice of Systemic Design.

Editorial -------- Relating Systems Thinking and Design I.
Practical Advances in Systemic Design
Birger Sevaldson,   Alex J. Ryan

Articles -------- Systemic Government and the Civil Servant. A
New Pattern for Systemic Design
Jonathan A Veale

Systemic Design: Two Canadian Case Studies
Alex Ryan,  Mark Leung

System Design for Sustainable Energy for all. A new
challenging role for design to foster sustainable development
Carlo Vezzoli,  Emanuela Delfino,   Lorraine Amollo Ambole

Systems Design Perspective of Healthcare Provision in
Humanitarian Aid
Ana Laura Santos,   Linda S.G.L. Wauben

From Product to Service Design: A Thinking Paradigm Shift
Liliana Rodriguez,  Carlos Peralta

Teaching Systems - Getting future IT entrepreneurs to see the
full picture
Andrea Resmini, Bertil Carlsson

Book reviews

Book review. Design for Care: Innovating Healthcare Experience
Manuela Aguirre Ulloa

FORMakademisk
http://www.formakademisk.org/

25-27 March 2015: Research Through Design 2015 - Registrations now open
RTD 2015 - Cambridge, UK, 25th to 27th March 2015

Early bird registration deadline: 30th January, 2015

Registrations are now open to attend the second biennial
Research Through Design (RTD) conference, to be held in
Cambridge, UK, between the 25th and 27th of March 2015. RTD is
a new conference that supports the dissemination of
practice-based design research through a novel and
experimental conference format, comprising a curated
exhibition accompanied by round-table discussions in Rooms of
Interest. Building on the success of the inaugural RTD
conference held at the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art in
2013, the 2015 conference is to be hosted at Microsoft
Research\0x0105s new European lab in the centre of Cambridge.
This promises to be an exciting venue for exploring what
research through design means in the early 21st Century.

RTD 2015 will offer a diverse programme of peer-reviewed work
and invited talks. As with the first conference, RTD 2015 aims
to foreground the materiality of design research, placing its
artefacts, processes, and practices centre stage. The
exhibition will be used as a platform for presenting and
demonstrating research processes and outputs, and for
generating debate about the role of the design practitioner
and their work in a research context. From an initial
submission of 223 abstracts, following two rounds of
peer-review we have accepted a final set of 34 high quality
submissions to be exhibited and presented at the conference
(an overall acceptance rate of 15%). A preliminary programme
of sessions at the conference can be found on our website:

http://www.researchthroughdesign.org/programme/

RTD 2015 also includes an exciting programme of invited
Provocations plenary talks that will take place throughout the
conference for inspiring and provoking further discussion and
debate around the conference themes. We are delighted to have
thus far confirmed provocations from Nelly Ben Hayoun, Sir
Christopher Frayling, David Gauntlett and Amy Twigger Holroyd.

We look forward to seeing you at RTD 2015 in March. To find
out more about the conference, please visit our website:

http://www.researchthroughdesign.org

To register the conference, please go straight to our
RegOnline form here:
https://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=
1654505

7th - 9th  March 2015: Typography Day
Theme: Focus on 'Typography, Sensitivity and
Fineness'

Introduction

Typography Day is being held for the eight time from 7th to
9th March 2015 at the Industrial Design Centre (IDC), Indian
Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay) with support from
India Design Association (InDeAs) and Aksharaya.

The theme for this year's event is 'Typography, Sensitivity
and Fineness'.

The event features a day of workshops on Typography and
Calligraphy followed by two days of conference dedicated to
'typography, Sensitivity and Fineness'. The international
conference is devoted to addressing issues faced by type
designers, type users and type educators. The conference
includes presentations by invited keynote speakers, eminent
academicians, blind juried papers, industry professionals,
research scholars and students. The event will also host an
exhibition of selected posters and typographic works of
students and faculty members from Design Institutes.

The event is planned over three days:

Day 1: Workshops for Students on Typography + Typography
Quiz

Day 2-3: Conference focusing on 'Typography, Sensitivity and
Fineness' + Meet on 'Research in Typography'

Day 1-3:   Exhibition of Poster Competition + Exhibition of
Typographic works from Design Schools + Typographic
Installations

The Conference will focus on the following issues:

1.  Experiments and explorations in typography, sensitivity
and fineness
2.  Sensitivity and fineness in typography design
3.  Craftsmanship in typography design
4.  Intricate details of typography
5.  Sensitivity and fineness in typography design with
multilingual scripts
6.  Sensitivity and fineness in typography design in native
(indigenous) scripts
7.  Sensitivity and fineness typography design within local
contexts.
8.  Research activities in typography, sensitivity and
fineness
9.  Education aspects of typography with sensitivity and
fineness

Registration:

Participation in the conference and workshop 'Typography Day
2015' on 7th to 9th of March 2015 requires registration. The
seating is limited to 400 participants. Kindly register early.

http://www.typoday.in

APPLIEDSEMIOTICS

This group is for academics interested in the study or
application of semiotics to various contexts, whether
communication, design, marketing or other contexts.

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/appliedsemiotics

LUXURY

LUXURY A forum for the study of luxury

Luxury is an email list that provides an academically informed
global forum for all those in the arts, humanities, and social
sciences interested in the transformed and expanded nature of
the multifaceted concept of luxury.

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/luxury

THE DESIGN JOURNAL

The Design Journal - Volume 17, Issue 4
An International Journal for All Aspects of Design
Editor: Paul Atkinson, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
Associate Editor: Louise Valentine, Duncan of Jordanstone
College of Art & Design, University of Dundee, UK

Cultures, Classifications, Counsel and the Value of Design
Research
http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WTTRWbFWf6Sn3SAn4Dn9IL
Authors: Atkinson, Paul

An Exploratory Model for Understanding Culture in Student
Design Team Idea Generation
http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WTVUFY3SPKjw9C7soNtO0e
Authors: Wodehouse, Andrew; Maclachlan, Ross

Towards a Design Process Ontology
http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WTXXpKrPqnKFflExIXAshH
Authors: Green, Stephen; Southee, Darren; Boult, John

Open Design: Contributions, Solutions, Processes and Projects
http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WU009wPM11bOl5bD37H6za
Authors: Tooze, James; Baurley, Sharon; Phillips, Robert;
Smith, Paul; Foote, Edwin; Silve, Sarah

The Wicked Problem of Design Management: Perspectives from the
Field of Entrepreneurship
http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WU22TjdIBECXqOIInhNKQD
Authors: Nielsen, Suna Lowe; Christensen, Poul Rind

Designing a Premium Package: Some Guidelines for Designers and
Marketers
http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WU45D5BFci46wyfNHrUp86
Authors: Mugge, Ruth; Massink, Thomas; Hultink, Erik Jan; van
den Berg-Weitzel, Lianne

What Is Human Centred Design?
http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WU8b6EnynyWoI1jYlM7HH2
Author: Giacomin, Joseph

Designing Craft Research: Joining Emotion and Knowledge
http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WUadQqLuYcnxNKR3FWelYv
Authors: Niedderer, Kristina; Townsend, Katherine

http://email.bloomsburynews.com/c/14WTLGZ489Sz7MGWs1LYWyAT

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DESIGN
Vol. 8(3) December 2014 | Table of Contents

Original Articles

How the Design of Socio-technical Experiments Can Enable
Radical Changes for Sustainability
Fabrizio Ceschin

Using Social Distinctions in Taste for Analysing Design Styles
across Product Categories
Dirk Snelders , Ruth Mugge , Maartje Huinink

Space Affordances, Adaptive Responses and Sensory Integration
by Autistic Children
Paramita Atmodiwirjo

Design Concepts for Digital Diabetes Practice: Design to
Explore, Share, and Camouflage Chronic Illness
Anne Marie Kanstrup

Examining the "Later Wow" through Operating a Metaphorical
Product
Ming-Huang Lin , Shih-Hung Cheng

Comparison of Semantic Intent and Realization in Product
Design: A Study on High-End Furniture Impressions
Javad Khalaj , Owain Pedgley

Product Sounds: Basic Concepts and Categories
Elif Ozcan , Rene van Egmond , Jan Jacobs

Trust Inducing Factors of Generation Y Blog-Users
Cara Colucci , Erin Cho

Mind the Gap: Perceptions of Design Awards from the Wild
James Andrew Self

Design Case Studies

Bauhaus Legacy in Research through Design: The Case of Basic
Sonic Interaction Design
Stefano Delle Monache , Davide Rocchesso

19-21 February 2015: Symposium: Community Now? The Politics of
Participatory Design.

Jewish Museum Berlin, Lindenstrasse 9-14, 10969 Berlin

ABOUT:

The international symposium focusses on emergent issues of
urban grassroots movements, especially in relation to current
social developments in Germany and Israel. Together with
guests and projects from all over we explore how to promote
processes of active participation and support a sustainable
development of communities, their impact on policy making and
on everyday life. The event is the closure of the
German-Israeli research project "Communty Now?" between the
Berlin University of the Arts and the Bezalel Academy
Jerusalem.

PROGRAM:

The program includes an opening evening and a night-talk,
followed by two days of keynote talks, presentations and
workshops - accompanied by an exhibition around the
Neighborhood Lab and a series of thematic walks.

Thursday, 02/19/2015

19:00 - Opening Ceremony | Inaugural speeches & short panel
discussion with:

Daniela Schadt (Board of the German-Israeli Future Forum DIZF
and Germany's First Lady)

Cilly Kugelmann (Program Director of the Jewish Museum Berlin)

Thomas Krueger (President of the German Federal Agency for
Civic Education bpb)

Michal Eitan (Dean at Bezalel Academy Jerusalem)

Ezri Tarazi (Curator and Professor at Bezalel Academy
Jerusalem)

Andreas Eberhardt (Director of the German-Israeli Future Forum
DIZF)

Gesche Joost (Head of the Design Research Lab, Berlin
University of the Arts)

Night-Talk with Hanno Rauterberg, Author and Journalist (ZEIT)
and Jesko Fezer (DGTF board member, Professor at HfBK Hamburg)

Concert wit TAL BALSHAI & Band

Friday, 02/20/2015 & Saturday, 02/21/2015

Keynotes:

Avi Sabag (Musrara School & Musrara Mix Festival), Barbara
Meyer (Director Schlesiche 27 Berlin), Daniela Schadt (Board
of the German-Israeli Future Forum DIZF), Doug Schuler
(Evergreen State College, Washington)

Talks and workshops:

Efrat Meyer (Yad Be Yad), Valentina Nisi & Mara Dionisio
(Madeira Institute of Technology), Iva Cukic & Marko
Aksentijevic (Ministry of Space Beograd), Panayotis Antoniadis
& Ileana Apostol (ETH Zuerich), Leah Abir (Haifa Museum of
Art), Karin Luecker (MadaMe Berlin), Michael Smith (Urban IxD
Edinburgh); Myriel Milisevich, Henrik Lebuhn & Mira Thomsen
(Neighborhood Satelites), Michelle Christensen & Florian
Conradi (DGTF), Gilly Karjevsky (Glocal Neighborhoods)

REGISTRATION OPEN!

Free admission, Please register here:
http://www.dgtf.de/conftool/; Note that the registration
closes February 8th!

For further information about the Symposium, please do not
hesitate to contact us: Bianca Herlo or Malte Bergmann

http://community-now.org/

SEARCHING DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS

Searching back issues of DRN is best done through the
customisable JISC search engine at:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/design-research

Look under 'Search Archives'

SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

o   Design Research News is the digital newsletter of the
    Design Research Society.  It communicates news about
    research throughout the world.  It is mailed automatically
    each month and is free of charge.  You may
    subscribe and unsubscribe at the following site:

    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/design-research.html

o   PHD-DESIGN is a discussion list open for unmoderated
    discussion on all matters related to the PhD in design.
    Topics include philosophies and theories of design, research
    methods, curriculum development, and relations between
    theory and practice. You may subscribe and unsubscribe at
    the following site:

    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/phd-design.html

o   Design Studies is the International Journal for Design
    Research in Engineering, Architecture, Products and Systems,
    which is published in co-operation with the Design Research
    Society.

    DRS members can subscribe to the journal at special rates.

    http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/inca/30409/

To SUBSCRIBE to DRN:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

To UNSUBSCRIBE FROM DRN:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

Please ensure that when you change email addresses, you let the
server know at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

CONTRIBUTIONS

Information to the editor, David Durling
Professor of Design Research, Coventry University, UK