JISC-REPOSITORIES  September 2014

JISC-REPOSITORIES September 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fw: The Open Access Interviews: Paul Royster

Sue Gardner <[log in to unmask]>

Sue Gardner <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:42:22 +0000

Stevan,

Apologies for a delayed response. I have been meaning to reply, and now have time.

You have asked some questions of us at UNL. Paul Royster may reply, as well. These are my thoughts.

"(1) What percentage of Nebraska-Lincoln output of peer-revewed journal articles (only) per year is deposited in the N-L Repository?
"(Without that figure, there is no way of knowing how well N-L is doing, compared to other institutional repositories, mandated or unmandated.)"

You are requesting a certain metric and claiming that it is the only valid one. We have approximately 75,000 items in our repository, almost all of which can be read freely by anyone with an Internet connection. We also have several dozen monographs under our own imprint, and we host several journals. We don't devote too much of our time to analyzing our metrics, in part because we are a staff of three (as of two weeks ago--before which we were a staff of two), and we spend much of our time getting content into the repository in favor of administrative activities. Personally, I welcome anyone to analyze our output by any measure and I will be interested to know the result, but that information won't change our day-to-day activities, so it would remain off to the side of what we're doing.

"(2) Why doesn’t N-L adopt a self-archiving mandate?"

We just don't see how -mandating- deposit would improve anything. You can tell people what to do, and maybe they will do it--and, if they do, it's probably not because you told them to. My feeling about it is: Am I serving the needs of my constituents, i.e. the faculty? I feel strongly that I'm here to facilitate access to their work, not to bear down on them with demands of any kind. If it works for them, it works for me--not the other way around.

"(3) Why do you lump together author-pays with author-self-archives?"

I lump them together because they both result in a burden on the author that I feel is best taken up by other constituencies.

Author-pays results in a skewed body of work being published. I watch my close colleagues in academic departments deal with this on a daily basis, and it would be comical if it weren't so deadly serious.

Author-pays, a scenario: The junior author has money from her institution to go with an author-pays journal. The established author doesn't care about impact factor and wants to go with a smaller, more regional journal. The junior author insists that she must publish within a certain subset of prestigious journals, so they submit to one of them. The reviewers that are assigned know very little about the techniques that the authors are using, but it gets pushed through with suggested revisions that the established author knows border on ridiculous. The paper gets published and it's not what the established author had ultimately envisioned, but there you have it.

Self-archiving scenario: An established author has 170 papers going back to 1984. Many of those either do not exist digitally or are not coming through via interlibrary loan, despite several attempts. He has a stack of reprints. He has some manuscripts in various files on his computer, but he's not sure if they're pre-print or post-print. He is administering two large, federally-funded projects, one of which takes him into the field for 2-3 months per year. He teaches at least one class each semester. He runs the weekly seminar for his department. He has three active PhD students, a post-doc, and a master's student who needs a lot of mentoring. He holds two officer positions on national boards that require his attendance at least once a year. He is asked to review dozens of papers per year from for-profit publishers (had to throw that in--all too true). Etc.  ... [drum roll?]  We tell him has HAS TO deposit his papers into our institutional repository.

Is this a person we can reasonably expect to self-archive his work into our repository? Note that he has to understand the vagaries of copyright permissions and post a legal version, or we are going to be doing work after he has complied.

If we do not mandate deposit, and if we offer mediated deposit (as opposed to requiring self-archiving), this faculty member's work will be included in the IR. If we mandate self-archiving, his work will remain in the deep archive that is bound up in older, hard copy research.

So, that is where I am coming from. I see what works and what doesn't, and that's how I have formed my opinions.

Sincerely,

Sue Gardner
Scholarly Communications Librarian/Professor
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, Nebraska, 68588 USA