SIDNEY-SPENSER August 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Convention into satire

"James C. Nohrnberg" <[log in to unmask]>

Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 23 Aug 2014 02:15:16 -0400

text/plain

Bert Hamilton once asked if I could write an article on
parody for the Spenser Encyclopedia, and I tried and
shortly thereafter demurred.  Rather later I was asked to
provide a response piece for an article by Donald Cheney
in Connotations, and I recycled something of what I knew
and had already written, with examples of parody in Milton
— but my 64 page piece was one that the journal in
question hadn't any use for.  Its time has either passed
or not yet come, but I can seize the present occasion to
quote, though again at virtually unforgivable length, a
couple of my introductory remarks, perhaps in a not
altogether resigned mood of "yet once more."

Parody, in literature, is a kind of impersonation or
ventriloquization or parroting (of an author or of the
voice of another text or speaker) taken a comic step too
far, along the continuum from influence to pastiche to
slavish imitation to counterfeit to parody proper, and
from parody proper to spoof to lampoon to burlesque to
charade to travesty.   The relation of a parody to the
thing parodied is a parasitic or symbiotic one.  Sometimes
the original, being familiar and affectionately received,
is merely used as a vehicle to send-up or spoof a more
recent object that has developed absurd but conceivable
and exploitable analogies to the "straight" archetype.
 The original is itself satirized only when its own
vulnerabilities and susceptibilities are exposed and
ridiculed:  by an exaggerated imitation of its potentially
ludicrous or risible features or conceits or conceptions.
 Often parody’s object, in that case, is the
all-too-easily imitated style, the pretenses and
affectations of which readily lend themselves to
exaggeration and excessive repetition; or the object is
modes of thought or feeling or expression that have become
familiar and contemptible from too much repetition; from
which it is possible to have become disaffected.  At the
same time, and despite the jaundiced view they typically
take, the best parodies are loving tributes and homage to
the spell cast by the original or convention or tradition
that is being mimicked, and inevitably they are thus
confessions of its influence and ubiquity.  ((Petrarch in
relation to the troubadours and the sweet new style as not
so new.  [Max Beerbohm's A Christmas Garland has been long
admired — more lately by John Updike  — as a remarkable
and acutely diagnostic send-up of 25 English prose
stylists; Henry James leads off the succession, James
being an author whose manner has seemed to many as bent on
eventually undoing itself.  But one could obviously not
have been unaffected by it, to have written the parody.]))

If parody makes affectionate sport of that which a
multitude of readers or listeners or spectators have found
irresistible--and is a kind of sweet or gamesome revenge
taken on a mode or a model that has prevailed and found
its place in the sun of popular favor, nonetheless, for
parody to exist, something in the original must have gone
to seed, or become obsolete, or lost favor or lustre or
relevance.   A good parody may sneak up on us, and it
always forces us to rediscover the properties of the
original—along with its ingenious imitation in—or
importation into--an ultimately alien context.  ...  .
 Parody must hew to and mimic its referent in order to be
recognizable, and yet misapply the indications of that
referent’s presence to make them sufficiently facetious to
be parodic.  Its method is that of a shadow: walking both
mockingly and exactingly in the steps of a received and
proven original.  (See Robin Williams and Nathan Lane on
John Wayne's macho walk in the Hollywood remake of La Cage
aux Folles.)  ...

The alchemy and the metaphorics whereby literature turns
the water of reality into the wine of imagination are also
working when parody turns the wine into vinegar.  Melville
transforms the energies of the Nantucket whale fishery
into the Byronic Captain Ahab’s pursuit of the well-nigh
eschatological White Whale; but J.M Barrie reconfigures
these antagonists and reverses the pursuer and pursued (as
in the legendary Mocha Dick) into the piratical Captain
Hook and the crocodile with the clock in its belly—a
clock-o-dial, so to speak.  But since parody necessarily
follows upon an original, an element of it inheres in the
allusive imitation of any literary model, not merely in a
satiric one.  Thus Urizen exploring his dens in Night VI
of Blake’s Four Zoas is offered as a virtual parody of
Milton’s Satan reconnoitering chaos in Book II of Paradise
Lost.  Or the speaker (or harangue artist) retailing much
of Pound’s Cantos can introduce himself as a parody of one
of Browning’s preoccupied cranks who are dramatic
monologists by nature as well as art: “Hang it all, Robert
Browning, / there can be but the one ‘Sordello,’ / but
Sordello and my Sordello?” (Canto II, 1-3).  And thus
Spenser begins with a similar reference back to an
original:  “fierce warres and faithful loves shall
moralize my song” (FQ Proem, 4), not merely echoing
Ariosto as in Harrington’s later translation in 1591, “Of
Dames, of Knights, of armes, of love’s delight, / Of
courtesies, of high attempts I speake” — but with Spenser
suggesting that the Ariostan “Knights and Ladies gentle
deeds” will be levied for moral examples, and, if Ariosto
is an immoral poet, in that sense will he be parodied:  or
counter-parodied.  For faithless loves turn up often in
the Orlando Furioso and Ariosto’s original, the Orlando
Inammorato, as well as faithful ones.  Harrington’s
“attempts” indeed will latterly become the poet’s own, in
the two temptation-epics of Milton.   ...

I. The Recycling of a Virgilian Topos, as Found in
Milton’s Paradise Lost, as an “Arch” Kind of Parody

In his article for Connotations, Donald Cheney makes a
calculated use of an occupied term, “parody,” to
denominate the phenomenon of the marked literary
reminiscence, perhaps otherwise to be identified as “the
figure of echo” (Hollander).   It is typically the
somewhat lightsome but pointed paralleling of one author’s
exact words, diction or rhythms by those of another—a kind
of internalized and potentially ironic citation—that
Cheney takes to mark a particular kind of Renaissance
parodic metier, a mode conformable to much that has been
said about both the practice of literary imitation and the
inflection of literary topoi in the period in question.
 When understood in these terms, parodic practice nicely
conforms to David Bromwich’s remark that parody belongs to
the larger family comprised by literary allusion.
(“Parody, Pastische, and Allusion,” in Hosek and Parker,
Lyric Poetry).  Parody, it thus appears, is a critical
species of dialectical or dialogic intertextuality,
whether reformist or desconstructive — or merely
ambivalent.

-- Jim N.

James Nohrnberg
Dept. of English, Bryan Hall 219