Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Mattleson

Trevor Ogden <[log in to unmask]>

The English Surname List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Jul 2014 13:08:35 +0100

text/plain

According to the British 19th Century Surname Atlas
(www.archersoftware.co.uk) there was one occurrence of Mattleson in
the 1881 census, in the Wakefield Poor Law Union.  I feel your other
sources ought to have picked that up if it is right.  Do you think it
is a mistake?

It may be that George Redmonds gives more info in his 1973 book on
the surnames of Yorkshire, West Riding.  For more details on this see
http://copac.ac.uk/search?author=George%20Redmonds&title=English%20surnames%2C%20yorkshire%20west%20riding&sort-order=ti%2C-date&rn=2
Or he has written other books on Yorkshire surnames, which you can
find listed on Amazon.  Maybe in your role in Genuki and the Guild of
One-Name Studies you can find another officer who has George's email
address which they might feel able to let you have.

Trevor Ogden