WORDGRAMMAR  June 2014

WORDGRAMMAR June 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: [Link Grammar] Re: Link grammar / word grammar and CCG

Ben Goertzel <[log in to unmask]>

Word Grammar <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Jun 2014 14:37:20 +0800

text/plain

Hi Linas,

Your general comments are all sensible; but by CCG I mean a specific
approach to syntax and semantics as elaborated by the literature
linked from http://groups.inf.ed.ac.uk/ccg/ ....  There might indeed
be other ways to model natural language using category theory but
that's not what I was talking about...

For instance, in the CCG approach, very roughly/crudely (just to give
you a quick flavor)

--- Determiners may be viewed as functions from the category of noun
phrases into the category of noun phrases

-- Verb phrases may be viewed as functions from the category of noun
phrases into the category of sentences

A "parse" of a sentence in CCG basically consists of a proof that the
sequence of words in question has a type that reduces to the type
"Sentence" ...

So to map link grammar in to CCG of this sort, I suggest, one has to
come up with **sets of link combinations** corresponding to categories
like "noun phrase", "verb phrase", "determiner", etc.   Then one can
construct types corresponding to mappings between these categories,
mapping between mappings between these categories, etc.   These would
be function types (often higher order function types), not the same as
the link parser link types, though derived therefrom.

I think we can have a better conversation about this at some future
point when you read the basic papers on CCG....  But I realize you're
busy with other more urgent matters at the moment ;)

-- Ben