Assessment of Bioethics

Chris Willmott <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:25:17 +0000

text/plain

Dear colleagues

I hope everyone’s terms are going well.

The Special Interest Group has been asked to produce a poster highlighting some aspect of the bioethics teaching within our community. We would like to use this as an opportunity to capture some of the current practice in ASSESSMENT OF BIOETHICS.

We would like to include some examples (perhaps 5 or 6) of tasks you are using to ASSESS bioethics learning with your students. I am aware that this is also an opportunity to see just how many of us are assessing the ethical dimension of our teaching in some way or other. Please can EVERYONE on the list please answer this short questionnaire (and feel free to pass it to others you know who are involved in delivering bioethics teaching but may not be on the list). If you are NOT assessing ethics in any way, please can you provide a “Nil” return (i.e. “we teach bioethics but this component of the course is not assessed”) rather than not responding.

I recommend that you do not reply directly to the whole list. Please copy and paste the following questions into a separate email and forward directly to me at [log in to unmask]

Please reply ASAP (and before February 26th at the latest).

Thanks in advance,

Chris
ASSESSMENT OF BIOETHICS EDUCATION SURVEY 2014

Which institution are you at?

In which year(s) of the course is bioethics taught?

Is any element of the ethics component assessed? Y/N
If YES, in which year of the course is the assessed activity conducted?

Which degree programme(s) are the students on?
How many in cohort?

If applicable, please give a brief description of the assessment task. Details of traditional assessment tasks (e.g. essays, exams) welcome as well as more diverse:

Specify up to three good features of this task:

Specify up to three difficulties with this task:

Are fuller details of this activity available somewhere else (e.g. paper, published conference proceedings, blog)? Y/N
If YES, please provide a reference

Would you be willing for this ACTIVITY to be considered for inclusion in the Bioethics SIG poster? Y/N

Do you have any images available (students conducting the task, outputs from it, etc) which might be included on the poster? Y/N (if YES, no need to send at this stage, though you are welcome to do so if you wish)

Your email address