SIDNEY-SPENSER November 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: beyond the passive professoriate

"James C. Nohrnberg" <[log in to unmask]>

Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Nov 2013 21:18:07 -0500

text/plain

I've found the discussion initiated by Prof. Willett
instructive and potentially important, not merely for the
statistics, but for our various reactions to the
deductions and arguments being made from or against them
-- I suppose that in the fallen world some would say
there's no such thing as an innocent bystander or a
neutral country.  But what I've been struck by, in the
exchange, is the relevance of (1) Milton's Areopagitica
and other remarks of Milton elsewhere on the elicitation
of truth by contraries, as eventually taken up by William
Blake (Joseph Wittrich wrote an article on this
development in the 1960's), and (2) Plato's Phaedrus
274-276, as taken up by moderns like Derrida, Eric
Havelock, and Marshall McLuhan.  For listserve discussions
seem to overcome some if not all of the objections
Socrates is made to offer regarding writing, even while
they also reinforce them.

To wit: "You know, Phaedrus, that's the strange thing
about writing, which makes it truly analogous to painting.
 The painter's products stand before us as though they
were alive, but if you questioned them, they maintain a
most majestic silence.  It is the same with written words;
they seem to talk to you as though they were intelligent,
but if you ask them anything about what they say, from a
desire to be instructed, they go on telling you just the
same thing forever.  And once a thing is put in writing,
the composition, whatever it may be, drifts all over the
place, getting into the hands not only of those who
understand it, but equally of those who have no business
with it; it doesn't know how to address the right people,
and not address the wrong.  And when it is ill-treated and
unfairly abused it always needs it parents to come to its
help, being unable to defend or help itself."

Plato's Socrates goes on to propose a living speech (as
opposed to a dead writing) that implants its seminal words
in suitable soil:  "[The speaker] will sow his seed in
literary gardens, ... and write when he does write by way
of pastime, collecting a store refreshment both for his
own memory, against the day 'when age oblivious comes,'
and for all such as tread in his footsteps, and will take
pleasure in watching the tender plants grow up.  And when
other men resort to other pastimes,regaling themselves
with drinking parties and such like, he will doubtless
prefer to indulge in the recreation I refer to."  And so
on to the praise of "the art of dialectic":  "The
dialectician selects a soul of the right type, and in it
he plants and sows his words founded on knowledge, which
which can defend both themselves and him who planted them,
words which instead of remaining barren contain a seed
whence new words grow up in new characters, where by the
seed is vouchsafed immortality, and its possessor the
fullest measure of blessedness that man can attain unto."
Just exactly how "those lessons on justice and honor and
goodness that are expounded and set forth for the sake of
instruction, and are veritably written in the soul of the
listener" are to be distinguished from "what is a mere
dream image of justice and injustice, good and evil,"
Socrates seems to leave to the future development of the
next generation, in which his own words may bear fruit,
the very promising Isocrates in particular.  By a happy
turn of events, the Logos Areopagiticos of that Athenian
orator, we are told, was a speech meant to be read, not
heard, and so it survived its promulgation in Plato's
Athens.  It was--or is--in defense of an open court.

-- Jim N.

PS John Leonard's perhaps not altogether fanciful
suggestion about combining two rather different threads
might remind us that the true Florimell is shadowed by a
false and meretricious one, just as Una is; Milton (in
Reason of Church Government) imagined the commodification
of spiritual goods somewhat similarly:  "That undeflowered
and unblemished simplicity of the gospel, not she herself,
for that could never be, but a false-whited, a lawny
resemblance of her, like that air-borne Helena in the
fables," who "gives up her body to ... mercenary whoredom
... and ... makes merchandise of ... the souls of men."

James Nohrnberg
Dept. of English, Bryan Hall 219
Univ. of Virginia
P.O Box 400121