Re: design thinkers

Prof M P Ranjan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:08:58 +0530

text/plain

Dear GK

Wonderful post that brings a lot of clarity and it echoes many of my own experiences with big transformational design action that w have attempted here in India, very political and in some cases with a lot of conflict. Perhaps that is why w have been advocating humility as a desirable quality for design students and designers as well.

I am meeting the Academic Council of the Ahmedabad University today and hopefully our new course on Design Thinking for non design students will be approved today. The brief outline is available on my Academia,edu archive if anyone is interested. My real question is how can we introduce visualisation to non design students who do not have skills in drawing? Are there any references that you can share or experiences of such actions as I find this a real challenge as we go forward. Modelling and visualisation re such an integral part of my courses in design thinking and this is a first time for me to focus on non design students from commerce, management and the sciences and humnities etc.

My suggested references for the course participants include John Heskett, John Thackara, Jon Kolko, Roger Martin, Kees Dorst and Bryan Lawson since their texts are very accessible. Any other suggestions?

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
From my iPad at home
16 August 2013 at 10.05 am IST