AGHGP-CV-DISCUSS  May 2013

AGHGP-CV-DISCUSS May 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: GHG Platform vocabulary management update

"Jon Moorby [jxm]" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Project CV <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 May 2013 14:40:34 +0000

text/plain

Dear all,

I think we need careful consideration of the 'preferred units' column contents.

To my mind some of these are misleading.  Getting the units of measure for a particular number is clearly critical,  and it's not clear to me, even after reading the full definitions in the attached Excel sheet, what numbers associated with some IDs would mean.

E.g. row 10, nitrate ion mass concentration in soil.  I don't follow the definition - does this mean the concentration of nitrate ions (as nitrate) per unit of soil (wet weight or dry weight?), does it mean nitrate-N (i.e. nitrogen in the form of nitrate), or does it mean nitrate (or nitrate-N?) expressed as a proportion of total N concentration in the soil?  The units associated with this doesn't help work out which it is.

Another example is row 17, dry matter energy content [as an aside, this is wrong - it should be 'energy density' because 'energy' is not a nutrient, but is yielded from various nutrients/components].  The definition mentions mass dry matter, but the units don't include is.  This is critical - water in a sample yields no energy.  Units should be 'MJ kg-1 DM'.

Similarly row 19, water soluble carbohydrates, expressed per kg DM - units should be 'g kg-1 DM'.

Although under strict SI unit use 'information and units shouldn't be mixed', under practical conditions such as this I think that the less ambiguous we can make the unit notation the better.

On thought - the column is labelled 'preferred units'.  Does this mean that there are options of 'non-preferred' units too?

Jon