WEBPA  April 2013

WEBPA April 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Using WebPA in degree classification modules

"Tomlinson, Alastair" <[log in to unmask]>

WebPA <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Apr 2013 08:56:58 +0000

text/plain

I'd echo Lynette's comments and we use a very similar approach on undergrad 2nd and final year modules and at postgraduate level also. In particular we explain to students that their textual 'feedback' (we use the term 'justification' of marks as the comments are confidential so not technically feedback) will be used to 'validate' the peer assessment process so if there is a distribution of marks that is not supported by comments this will be looked at. Furthermore as part of the group assessment we ask the teams to submit minutes of their meetings (either in paper or via course Wiki) to evidence their group process. Again if students are criticising one another on certain issues that do not appear to have been addressed via the group minutes and discussions we reserve the right to moderate the marks. Both internal examination board, external examiners and accrediting professional body have been more than happy with the approach.

Having said all that in 4 years of using WebPA I'm yet to have to moderate a mark. Prevention appears to be better than cure :)

Alastair

Alastair Tomlinson

Chartered EHP, Senior Lecturer

Programme Director, MSc Applied Public Health

029 2020 1528