NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  April 2013

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING April 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: November Theme (ReRun): Curating on and through web-based platforms: hybrid curatorial models

Rebecca Birch <[log in to unmask]>

Rebecca Birch <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:08:20 +0100

text/plain

Dear all

Thank you MariaLaura for the invitation and the introduction.

I'm going to kick us off, just by very briefly introducing the structure of
our project, Field Broadcast, in the terms of the discussion threads.

Interface: Field Broadcast works with the live broadcast as a medium- the
artworks are events that occur through the broadcast.  The audiences
receive the artworks through our custom built Field Broadcast software, a
desktop application that runs in the background.  When a broadcast arrives
the software pings, and opens a viewing window on top of anything else the
viewer has open on the screen. Times of the broadcasts are not announced,
and they are received as an interruption to the viewer's other activities.

Our first project, in May 2010 in collaboration with Wysing Arts Centre
(archived website material and current projects available here:
www.fieldbroadcast.org) invited 33 artists to make live broadcasts from
fields.  The broadcasts used dongles (mobile internet connections) to
enable artists broadcasting to work in remote locations and send the
broadcasts back to a dispersed audience.  In the brief to the artists, we
requested that the artworks must be completed by their 'liveness', that the
liveness must be an intrinsic part of the work.  The artists took up this
challenge in a variety of ways, and the most successful broadcasts had
sense of immediacy, and played with the simultaneous distance and proximity
between artist and audience, and encounter with the artwork.

Migration:  It is the nature of the broadcasts, as interruptions into the
audiences' daily life, that we are exploring in our forthcoming project,
Domestic Pursuits, in partnership with NearNow at Broadway in Nottingham.
 Through a collaborative residency, leading to a broadcast series we are
working with 8 artists to develop broadcasts that consider and address the
domestic situation of the audience.  The experience of each broadcast is
completed differently for each viewer, being a montage of the broadcast
(image and sound) and the wider imagery on the desktop, as well as the
surroundings of the viewer's computer- and any other sound in their
environment.

In addition we are also in the process of developing a mobile app that will
allow broadcasts to be received on phones and tablets, so both audience and
artist are mobile.

Access:  We are genuinely committed to creating projects that have
relevance / interest / meaning for a wider audience, and there are
potential connections with histories of community television projects, we
are curious about how in the future Field Broadcast could be made available
as a collective broadcasting platform.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Rebecca

--