JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  January 2013

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER January 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Researching Our Own Practice

Aaron Peeters <[log in to unmask]>

Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:41:02 +0800

text/plain

Brian, i'd like to have a stab at answering your question if I may:

"Why does the language of MPhil/PhD writing have to be couched in such
a way to be acceptable to a minority audience in universities but
alien to the world  of practice?"

I think it may be because people doing a MPhil/PhD are implicitly, or
maybe explicitly aware that if they write in terms that an audience of
teachers may be comfortable with the unintended consequence of this is
that they may well be advised to change their language by supervisors,
or face losing marks when academics who mark their paper do not
observe what they envisage as 'a good thesis'. What is considered
'good writing' or a 'good thesis' is indeed subjective, and often
tacit I think, and meeting the expectations of one group, academics,
seems to involve ignoring the expectations of the other,
professionals. It seems that there is more to lose, such as good marks
and positive feedback, by ignoring the expectations of the
professionals rather than the academics- so this is a common course of
action.

Do you agree that changing the language that is used when completing
and MPhil or PhD would have the consequences described above?

Cheers,
Aaron
P.S. I am new to this group so probably nobody knows me. I became
interested in Living Theory Action Research through my correspondence
with Moira Laidlaw when working as a teacher trainer for VSO in Ghana.
I'm currently teaching early primary in a remote indigenous school in
Australia- my home country.