PICTUREBOOKRESEARCH  November 2012

PICTUREBOOKRESEARCH November 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Picturebook - how does the concept come across in other languages? - wimmelbooks

Cornelia Remi <[log in to unmask]>

New Directions in Picturebook Research <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Nov 2012 15:33:01 +0100

text/plain

Dear Sandie,

part of what I was trying to achieve with my wimmelbook chapter was to find out what German readers perceive as wimmelbooks, not to give an ultimate definition of the term. My aim in this regard was to determine their implicit understanding of the genre (by means of a survey) and to phrase it explicitly. The work of Mitsumasa Anno would certainly correspond to that genre concept. Another relevant artist whose work I have actually examined more closely in my chapter is Thé Tjong-Khing (born in Java, working in the Netherlands). The attribute "wimmelpicture" has also been assigned paintings by Brueghel, Bosch and Altdorfer or (metaphorically) to stories "teeming" with characters and subplots like Ovid's "Metamorphoses".

You are very right in pointing out that the "Wally" (or "Waldo") books look "too cluttered" compared to Mitgutsch or Berner. That's because their basic concept differs from that of wimmelbooks (although one might count their artwork as "wimmelpictures"): They have been designed as puzzle books, i.e. their pictures are always combined with explicit search tasks, while classical German wimmelbooks offer no such tasks or at least assign them a rather low priority. It's very interesting to observe what happens when such books are published in other countries that lack our "wimmelbook" concept - at least in Rotraut Susanne Berner's case her US-publisher has tried to adapt her books to the "puzzle book" genre which is more familiar to US audiences.

Best,
Cornelia

----
Cornelia Rémi