CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY  November 2012

CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY November 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Nineteenth Century Bicycle Evolution[Scanned-Clean]

Matthew Hardy <[log in to unmask]>

Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:18:33 +0000

text/plain

I think the post below completely misses the point of the discussion. Nobody says that recumbents are not comfortable and efficient and fun. The point is that for whatever reason, UCI or habit, they have not succeeded in getting much market share despite these efficiencies. And that is worth examining in the light of this discussion.

Here's one reason perhaps - you can easily carry an upright up and down stairs if you live in a flat. Anything longer than 1.7m (normal bicycle length) is not going to fit easily around a stair landing.  As someone who lives in a flat and has to carry a bicycle up and down stairs every day the shortness means it's not too much of a struggle to get around the landing. Much as I am intrigued by the speed and efficiency arguments around recumbents, I would not want to try carrying one up the narrow stairs in our building. The Rapto for example appears to be at least 2m long overall (http://www.raptobike.nl/bikes/mid-racer/mid-racer-28-inch.html) and that's simply not going to fit around the corner. Wearing my architect hat I would guess that 1.7m is roughly the width of most stairwells.

Cheers,
Matthew.