GEO-METAMORPHISM October 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Bruce Yardley <[log in to unmask]>

Metamorphic Studies Group <[log in to unmask]>, Bruce Yardley <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Oct 2012 19:14:57 +0100

text/plain

Dear Trisrota

In a word, yes. No possible protolith has the Ca:Mg ratio of tremolite, so monomineralic tremolite rocks must be a) metasomatic and b) have undergone metasomatism at the time that the tremolite grew.

If the ultimate precursor was igneous you would hope to find a little Fe left and also low mobility "igneous" elements like Cr, whereas if it was originally dolomite it could be very pure tremolite.

Bruce

Professor Bruce Yardley
School of Earth and Environment
University of Leeds