Re: Farewell

Franny Louise <[log in to unmask]>

The Black and Asian Studies Association <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:28:07 -0400

text/plain

sorry you re going and wish you all luck in your continuing academic
career, francoise r

-----Original Message-----
From: Darrell Newton <[log in to unmask]>
To: BASA <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:17
Subject: Re: Farewell

Greetings everyone,
I’m writing this note to bid you a fond farewell. I’d like to request
that Sean remove me from the BASA listserv, forthwith. The reasons are
rather simple.
When I originally joined you about eight years ago, it was in an effort
to gain a better understanding of contemporary views on race and
ethnicity in England. I felt this would not only inform portions of my
research, but also provide insights into the work of other members.
However, I’ve found that the organization as it stands is far more of a
matriarchy that sometimes denigrates into arguments over mere semantics
and methodology. While this is not a reflection of the organization,
and surely not true of most members, I have found some to be
mean-spirited, cruel, and obviously bitter. As an example, please
consider the review of my book in BASA Newsletter 63 by Eleni Liarou,
as directed by Marika Sherwood.
To say that this attempt was condescending and crass is an
understatement. Further, it did not address what the book was truly
about. Instead, it set out to inform the reader of how it should have
been written from the “critic’s” perspective. This is not what a book
review is supposed to do, nor was this approach helpful to me as
author. Please also note dear colleagues, that this is not the first
time someone “reviewed” my work, nor am I some brash American scholar
who is above reproach. I learned very early in this business called
academe to develop thick skin.
However, it is this very kind of controlling behavior that caused me to
withdraw from my speaking engagement at the University of London,
particularly after awkward criticisms were leveled directly at my
publishers. Again, these weren’t constructive suggestions over the
style or content of the book, but a host of nit-picking comments that
reflected how someone else felt I should have addressed a specific
issue. The comments went further, offering an indictment of MUP’s
abilities as a publishing house. As mentioned to some of you
previously, my editor and others at Manchester University Press wrote
to tell me that this particular member was clearly someone “looking for
a fight.” How embarrassing.
I also sincerely believe that after my post to the listserv about the
canceled presentation, a certain vindictive attitude began to permeate
some of my efforts. It’s rather telling that a generous portion of the
subsequent "book review" used the very same wording found in emails to
me and MUP. I’ll let you figure that one out. Further, the review was
placed without the approval of the newsletter's own editor.
Having written several book reviews in my academic career, I’ve always
attempted to be as gracious as possible. Instead of statements like,
“the author knows little about British history,” I would have written
“while the author needs to brush up in their knowledge of British
history, the chapter…” and so forth. Further, to end the review with,
“it’s a pity that such a thoroughly researched book fails to give its
readers a better understanding of the BBC’s role in shaping the
nation’s attitudes toward Black Britons,” only serves to remind me yet
again that certain individuals missed the entire essence of this book.
But then again, they really weren't trying to get it, were they?
As explained in the introduction, the book deals with BBC television’s
broadcast policies as they relate to Black Britons. That’s a very
different subject matter, and page limitations placed upon me by my
editor wouldn’t allow me to digress. I assure you everyone; MUP would
have never touched my book if it was that poorly written.
Forgive me, but after four degrees, 22 years of teaching at three
universities, after writing 10 academic publications, 41 peer-reviewed
academic presentations (most of which were in the UK at media history
conferences, and at SCS), and chairing a communication studies
department with 22 colleagues and 800 majors, I‘m a little too road
weary for this. I’m at a point in my life where I welcome camaraderie
and healthy, intellectually stimulating debate – not bias, and blind
disapproval.
Again, dear colleagues, it’s not my intentions to draw you into a
fracas. Instead, I’d like to offer this final post as a kind of distant
view of a much larger picture. As you well know, sometimes it’s
difficult to clearly see an object or circumstance when standing too
close.
Take care of yourselves, everyone. Some of you have expressed an
interest in changing the direction of the organization. I applaud your
efforts. They seem long overdue.
On personal note: Stephen, Arthur and Kathleen; I surely hope to see
you again.

Darrell M. Newton, Ph.D.
Chair and Associate Professor
The Department of Communication Arts