COMMUNITYPSYCHUK  August 2012

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK August 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Open letter to list members about discriminatory behaviour (please read)

Stuart Bull <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Aug 2012 14:53:21 +0100

text/plain

Thanks Gavi,
That is helpful. The issue of diffuse institutional/societal power is a
fascinating one. In Education, (I'm an EdPsych), we are painfully aware of
the tension between the dangers of labelling children/young people and the
value which society, establishments and indeed other professionals place
upon what can be over-simplistic categorisation. While the new forms of
assessment such as dynamic assessment, Cognitive Abilities Profiling etc,
go a long way towards making assessments meaningful, purposeful and
articulated with an evidence based intervention rather than functioning as
a means of categorisation/classification, it seems that there is something
innate that makes folk want to categorise everything... next stop
discriminatory behaviour...
To quote a long-retired colleague, "What we seem to have here is a case of
hardening of the categories"
Anyway, my pointless and somewhat tangential musings apart, many thanks for
the useful and interesting clarification.
Regards

Stuart Bull
Senior Educational Psychologist
Educational Psychology Service