Mirna Willer <[log in to unmask]>

List for discussion on application profiles and mappings <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Apr 2012 14:32:24 +0200

text/plain

Dear Barbara,

Thank you for your comments, and I think there will be some more
opportunity to discuss the points you raised concerning ISBD during the
London meeting next week. Françoise will be there too.

However, I would just like to respond to your second point regarding the
ISBD:

> Wouldn't it be a useful step at this "early" stage to harmonize ISBD and
> RDA as the JSC and publishers re-open discussions with the publishing
> community?  Going in such different directions does not seem helpful to
> international standardization efforts, and it is not clear why ISBD chose
> to take such a divergent approach.  Perhaps such harmonization discussion
> would enable us to jointly agree on a better approach.  Gordon's analysis
> has certainly enlightened us all about the difficulties with the current
> approach.

I would like to point to the discussions we had during the JSC with ISBD
Review Group and ISSN Network meeting in Glasgow, Nov. 2011, where we
agreed to the two basic points:

http://www.ifla.org/files/cataloguing/isbdrg/JSC_ISBD_ISSN_Outcomesfinal.pdf

ISBD / ISSN Outcomes:
2.	All parties agreed that the purpose of harmonization is to make RDA,
ISSN and ISBD records functionally interoperable.  That is, records valid
under one of the standards should be capable of being mapped to either of
the other standards. It is recognised that some issues will take longer to
resolve than others and a few issues may prove to be irreconcilable, but
steps can be taken to limit the impact of such differences.

--> The main point here is what we understand under "harmonization": we
all agreed that it covers the "functional interoperability" of the
records, and that we cannot expect one-to-one mapping. Each standard has
it function within its remits, and ISBD has defined Area 0 following very
detailed considerations of the issue, and general approval by the relevant
IFLA's bodies.

23.	RDA/ONIX Framework: JSC and ISBD RG agreed to check that the mappings
from ISBD Area 0 vocabularies and RDA content and carrier vocabularies to
the RDA/ONIX Framework are correct.

--> the table we are commenting now is the result of the ISBD RG's work
following this action. Although at some point in time the ISBD RG
discussed the ISBD/RDA table concerning Area 0, we have decided to go into
the direction of one-mapping to the framework which will allow the ISBD -
as an international standard, the two basic functions: (1) alignment with
different cataloguing rules within the library community, not only RDA,
and (2) alignment with standards/schemes of other communities, such as
publishing, CIDOC/CRM, DC, etc. I think that the same holds true for the
RDA.

We have also agreed that ISBD RG should be involved in the future work on
the RDA/ONIX Framework, and subsequently we'll see whether ISBD should
have a need to revise its Area 0.

However, the revision is not in view in the near future: as the ISBD was
published in 2011, the three to four year period has to pass before we
start the revision process. Of course that ISBD RG will, while working and
liaising with other groups, etc. in this period, record all the comments
in order to discuss them in the revision process.

Kind regards,

Mirna

--
Professor Mirna Willer, PhD