ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS  April 2012

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS April 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

CFP Revisiting the ethnographic turn in contemporary art

An van Dienderen <[log in to unmask]>

An van Dienderen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:33:16 +0200

text/plain

*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

Call for papers for a themed issue on
Revisiting the ethnographic turn in contemporary art
For Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies
To be published December 2013

Guest editors: An van. Dienderen - Kris Rutten - Ronald Soetaert
Editorial consultant: Leora Farber

Critical Arts prides itself in publishing original, readable, and
theoretically cutting edge articles. For more information on the history and
the orientation of the journal, as well as guidelines for authors, and legal
and editorial procedures, please visit:
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/authors/rcrcauth.asp
Critical Arts is now published five times annually (moving to six from 2013)
and has been accepted for coverage in the Social Sciences Citation Index and
the Arts & Humanities Citation Index (ISI - Thompson- Reuters) and other

Theme:
Hal Foster introduced the concept ŒThe ethnographic turn of contemporary
artı in a seminal article entitled: The Artist as Ethnographer? (Foster
1995). Since the 90s an increasing wave of challenging art events occurred
that shows significant similarities with anthropology and ethnography in its
theorisations of cultural difference and representational practices. In this
theme issue, we aim to revisit the ethnographic turn in contemporary art by
focusing on practice-led research. We invite papers from theorists, artists
and critics to engage critically with the ethnographic perspective in their
work. Next to full research papers we also invite short statements and
reflections by artists about their practice.

In the issue, we approach ethnography from a thematic and/or methodological
perspective rather than looking for fixed categories for defining
Œethnographic artı. Our aim is to further the critical work on ethnography
in relation to contemporary art by specifically looking at authorship in art
practices and processes, thereby offering a bottom-up perspective from
artists, critics and theorists addressing the question if, why and how an
ethnographic perspective is indeed at work. In these practices we are
equally interested in to what extent contextualisation is relevant when
dealing with the display of alterity and outsiderness. We are specifically
interested in papers dealing with southern-based art practices and/or
representations of self and other in relation to the north-south nexus.

Submission guidelines
Deadline for abstracts: Please send your abstracts to [log in to unmask]
by August 31st 2012.
Deadline for article submission: Please send your papers to
[log in to unmask] by December 31st 2012.
Information and instructions for authors:
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/RCRC

So Why Publish in Critical Arts?

Critical Arts has niched itself in terms of conceptual freshness, textured
writing, and experiential analysis
which draws readers into its articles, its narrative
themes and its theoretical explorations. Articles published in Critical Arts
are universal in reach while retaining a particularity of context,
specificity of content and relevance of topic.
We invite articles which have the potential to influence the ways in which
disciplines represented by cultural and media studies think about themselves
in
terms of critical dialogues generated within the South-North relationship,
with special reference to Africa. How do people, institutions and
constituencies cope within, resist and engage this relational nexus?

*  *  *

Journals come and go. Some stay the course. Critical Arts is one such
journal. It has been published since 1980. The journal was started by a
young academic novice, providing publishing opportunities for
scholar-activists who did not fit the mould. Our board has matured with the
journal and young bloods have replaced those who have retired. Our editorial
board reflects an age, gender, ethnic, international and geographic mix,
much as is found in the pages of the journal.

As editor since 1980, and as an author, I am aware of the challenges that
face youngsters in getting published. New, and indeed seasoned, authors are
sometimes bewildered at the way that they are sometimes treated by
reviewers, editors and editorial assistants, on the assessment of articles,
special issues and proposals. Young authors are faced with:

·                     Single-sentence dismissals of their work as being ³too
wordy, too long; obviously drawn from a PhD thesis.² Thus, in one sentence,
many years of intensive study are disregarded, without recommendations ­ or
even the opportunity ­ for revision.
·                     Criticism rather than critique. This is sometimes
disrespectful of the authorıs work, affecting their sense of self-esteem and
confidence.
·                     Failure on the part of editors and reviewers to offer
clear recommendations for revision.
·                     Failure to remain in contact with authors as to the
status of their papers.
·                     A feeling of alienation when unsuccessful, thinking of
themselves as interlopers, as cogs in someone elseıs machine. It takes an
act of will to try again.

So, how does Critical Arts conduct itself?

·                     We work with our authors if a paper is deemed
publishable, but requires revision.
·                     Our editors and reviewers engage arguments, rather
than applying an instrumentalist check list evaluation that forgets what the
author is attempting to do. Our reviewers act as readers, they are not just
evaluators.
·                     We like to build long-term relationships with our
authors.
·                     We understand that young authors need to build their
careers, and we hope that their relationship with Critical Arts will be
beneficial in this regard.
·                     Critical Arts takes risks. Editors will sometimes
over-ride negative reviews if it is thought that the article in question
will create debate and feed into ongoing dialogue, thus opening up topics
for discussion.

So, if you are an author, what can you further expect from Critical Arts?

·                     Acknowledgement of your submission and correspondence
within 48 hours of receipt.
·                     To be treated with respect whether you are a new
author or an internationally known guru.
·                     Recognition that not every submission will be
accepted; authors will have engaged in a learning experience via the
evaluation process that may be arduous and challenging, but rewarding.
·                     If your article is accepted, you will join an
illustrious complement of authors amongst whom are included two Nobel
Laureates (who wrote for us when they were much younger), luminaries in the
field of cultural and media studies, and emergent authors who will one day
replace these. Your reputation will grow by association.

What we expect from authors:

·                     To follow the Guide for Authors when submitting.
·                     To have perused some Critical Arts back copies to
ensure that we are the appropriate journal for the particular submission,
that you have researched the topic thoroughly, and that you have
familiarised yourself with previous issues if such a topical thread exists.
·                     To engage in a rigorous learning process.
·                     We expect to be treated with respect and for authors
to respect the time taken to secure reviews and our production schedule.
·                     Authors should remain in touch with our editorial
office.

Where Critical Arts is Indexed:
Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) [ISI ranked]
Arts and Humanities Citation Index
Alternative Press Index
ARTBibliographies Modern
British Humanities Index
Film Literature Index
Humanities International Index
Index to South African Periodicals
International Bibliography of Social Sciences
International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance
Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts
M L A International Bibliography
Periodicals Index Online
R I L M Abstracts of Music Literature

Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies
c/o The Centre for Communication, Media and Society
University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041, South Africa
(Ph) +27 (0)31 260 2505
(Fax) +27 (0)31 260 1519
(e-mail) [log in to unmask]

http://ccms.ukzn.ac.za