COMMUNITYPSYCHUK  March 2012

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK March 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: the corruption of medicine, and of our email discourse

Tom Wengraf <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:13:28 -0000

text/plain

Just to say that in nearly every new email in this exchange so far I feel
the level of felt pain needing expression constantly rising and the danger
of destructive 'explosion' rising as well. I feel that most of those
involved share a broadly similar approach (as psychologists concerned for
something partly conveyable by 'community') but that frustration at the
inroads of contemporary capitalism and anger at the 'differences within' are
producing the emotional feel of 'sectarianism' when people collectively
under great pressure tear at those quite near to them because the pressure
from 'the enemy' and the societal distance from 'the enemy' makes it all
come out on those nearest. (and the disembodied publication-by-email mode
enables the feelings to be less carefully expressed and experienced as more
hurtful and disrespectful). A 'community psychology' struggling both to
understand and reduce the intensification of fury and contempt and 'felt
betrayal' among 'community psychologists' so painfully  and so pain-inducing
writing to each other seems to me to be very important.

Best wishes

Tom

P.S. For news about hats, click on http://www.katiawengraf.com/

P.S. For news, photos and stuff about our women's micro-credit and other
projects in South-West Uganda, look at our <www.kiafrica.org>.

P.P. S. To those interested in social research using biographic narrative
interviews: For a free electronic copy of the current version of the BNIM
Short Guide and Detailed Manual, just  write to <[log in to unmask]> .
Please indicate your institutional affiliation and the purpose for which you
might envisage using BNIM's open-narrative interviews, and I'll send it
straight away. ('BNIM' stands for Biographic Narrative Interpretive
Method').