Re: anyone not on Twitter out there?

Nicola Osborne <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:09:39 +0100

text/plain

Anne,

Yes, I would absolutely agree with all of those comments. If you are
looking to consult or engage with a community of interest or practice
then social media is only ever part of the picture. Email is important
and face to face is certainly still essential for some types of engagement.

What can be quite interesting in social media spaces, and more broadly
online, is that the louder and quieter voices are not always the same
people - some of those who will be quite dominant in face to face spaces
can be quiet or absent online whilst some of those who feel least
confident about speaking up in person find they can be far more vocal
online, particularly in social media presences where anonimity is an
option.  I think generally being able to engage in a variety of offline
and online spaces that have been chosen to fit the
user/audience/community needs, and doing that in a consistent way tends
to be the best approach.

- Nicola.