SPACESYNTAX  February 2012

SPACESYNTAX February 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Urbanopticon - Quiz on how well you know London

Daniele Quercia <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:56:25 +0000

text/plain

Hi Yiorgos,

thanks for your email! Please find few comments in line

> Why is there not a possibility to enter into the survey a little bit more data regarding each participant's 'urban visibility reach' of the city (the space of the city that one is actually able to better know visually)?

if the number of participants is high, then we would need to control
as we are dealing with a randomized study. if it isn't very high
(which might well be the case), we need to control for it - that is
why we asked for postcode. since we need to keep the final survey as
short as possible, we could modify "postcode" with "the area(s) you
know the most (comma separated postcodes)". so that the survey length
would be the same and we would capture what you've suggested. what do
you reckon?

> It appears to me that the 'recognisability' of a city by a particular individual would depend among other things on the ratio

you are right. the question is though: is recognisability (which
depends from a zillion factors) a good *proxy* for well-being? to
answer that question, one is after correlations not causal
relationships.

> "the first thing I read in [an image] was the typology of tube stations of a particular line"

i'm not sure whether we could somehow account for that ...

> Are the results of the quiz treated according to the possible specific clues that each picture contains?

Yes. Secret: some pictures have been chosen to be very recognizable
and are not counted in the study (they are fake). they just serve to
increase retention rate