Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Painful joints

Catherine Tye <[log in to unmask]>

Occupational Health mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:15:06 -0000

text/plain

Hi All,

Tracey - you haven't said whether her shoulder/wrist problems are ongoing to part of an active 'flare' or whether her  performance is an issue or not? I'd be intrigued to know when she was diagnosed as if only diagnosed recently then she may have years of pre-existing joint damage making her more prone to CTS and other problems.

Her attendance is good. In many companies she wouldn't need to take holiday but has chosen to for hospital treatment, so depending on company policy I would expect HR to decide whether that holiday day should be given back and also she may  come under the Equality Act so is entitled to time off for treatment and not be put to detriment.

Well, I'm going to disagree with some of the comments raised so far. I'll apologize in advance for getting on my soapbox but I'm rather passionate about RA so here goes......

With RA there are so many unknowns. Why should she not work in factory setting? How do you know her work is making her symptoms worse or not? How do you know if the CTS/ shoulder pain is caused by the disease process (joint erosion) or her work - you don't and you will never know.  She is the expert in her condition. She needs to work. With inflammatory arthritis symptoms the activity often helps manage pain (many are in more pain in sedentary jobs), promotes mental health and sleep. Yes she may require injections in her joints to 'keep her going' but is that really any different to a client requiring osteopathy for a bad back or steroid injections for elbow/shoulder problems?! In the factory setting I'm sure you have many staff with chronic msds/pain but no 'label' who keep working and probably have a worse attendance record.

The challenge for anyone with a chronic condition is managing the symptoms to enable them to continue working. She sounds to me to be doing a sterling job. I find it a difficult balance sometimes and I have to be aware of not over-protecting clients. I can only ensure she has robust information to make informed choices and she has had appropriate investigations and referrals where required. (The drugs combos for RA are of the disease modifying and biologics variety and are quite complicated these days tbh.)

The only thing that you have not referred to is completing a robust risk assessment in relation to her condition and her work. The key to rheumatoid arthritis is to think of the 4 Ps - pain (stretching, need for splints, orthotics), joint protection, pacing & planning etc which all aim to reduce the energy demands on the body to reduce fatigue from the inflammatory process within the body. Her workstations will need to be assessed to ensure that her posture is as neutral as possible to reduce pressure on joints (this is no different to anyone else) and review the job rotation setup. She may require more frequent rotations or short pacing breaks. Has she been advised to wear splints whilst working and does she have working splints? For ideas to consider see presentation link below.

I have been in similar situation recently with a lady with severe pain including deformed joints in her hands as a result of working as a sewing machinist for the last 30 years. She is in pain, her work aggravates it, we cannot make any further changes to her workstation, there is no opportunity for job rotation. She knows her hands are better when she is away from work but she cannot afford to go part-time (it has been offered to her) or retire and jobs are scarce...... she is able to work and performing to a high standard, she does not take time off-sick, she has sought advice from her GP to rule out any under-lying pathology such as RA and better analgesia than long-term ibuprofen and through open discussion her informed choice is to continue for as long as she can. There is no point in sending her to an OHP (not that we have one) as we already know the reality (she is the expert in the reality of her condition - what difference is an OHPs view going to make.........?) Who can say whether her condition is caused by her work or by her own genetic makeup (family hx of severe OA.) The above is on record. The management team will have to deal with the situation if and when she becomes unable to work or her performance is reduced.

It is very rare in my experience to say someone is unfit for a job role, they can either do it to the required standard with reasonable attendance or cannot. If they cannot then they have to be managed early on in the probationary period and out if no improvements seen (not used often enough IMHO) or for longer-standing employees, through the capability route. If they have a long-term health condition they will often self-select out if they can no longer tolerate the work. Equality and human rights legislation no doubt have a bearing in relation to a 'legal right to work.'

BTW - a reminder of the good work that NRAS (National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society) does. They ran workshops (which I was lucky enough to be involved in) aimed at supporting people with RA in the workplace. Delegates included plumbers, nurses, administrators, factory workers, farmers (men and women of all ages). The resources and information is available on their website...... :0)

http://www.nras.org.uk/workwise/welcome_to_workwise.aspx

http://www.nras.org.uk/workwise/expert_films/catherine_tye.aspx see video clip and presentation slides re things to think about and topics that you can discuss with the employee concerned - to ensure that everything has been considered to assist her in managing her condition. I would suggest record in her notes then monitor 2-3 monthly.

(The Equality act animation is good regarding pacing in inflammatory disorders)

Hope that helps!

Kind Regards,
Catherine

Catherine Tye RN SPOH PgDipOSH
Health, Safety and Wellbeing Practitioner

Harmony Health & Wellbeing | email: [log in to unmask] | www.harmonyhealthandwellbeing.com