Re: Proposed updates to WebPA

Stephen P Vickers <[log in to unmask]>

WebPA <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Nov 2011 00:19:07 +0000

text/plain

Thanks John Paul, I have not seen your email on the mailing list, but
will try copying my reply to the list in case this helps to make it
available to others.

I am aware of your Moodle plugin and it looks like you have implemented
functionality which is not yet supported by LTI (such as synchronising
group memberships), so the LTI integration will probably not be useful
for you.  I appreciate the feedback about support for assessments in
multiple modules - sounds like we agree about this and how to workaround
it when it is needed.

If the new version is adopted by the WebPA community and you wish to use
your module in conjunction with it, then I suspect there will be updates
required because of the new database structure and change in how roles
are implemented.  But I doubt there is anything about the functionality
of WebPA which has changed and would prevent it from continuing to work
in the same way as currently written.  Have you made any changes to the
WebPA code to implement your module?

I see that LTI support has been announced as being in the core of Module
from version 2.2 (expected 1 December) though it does not look as though
this will include support for any of the extensions (such as
memberships) and so use of the existing Basic LTI plugin may still be
needed for anyone wanting to connect tools using LTI.

Stephen

On 08/11/2011 22:35, John Paul Posada wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I'm resending the message below directly to you because I don't think it
> got through the WebPA mailing list for some reason:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Here at UNSW we've done much of the integration work already for
>     WebPA to function with Moodle 1.9 which you can see demonstrated in
>     the following Prezi:
>
>     http://prezi.com/urx26_tezjwl/webpa-moodle-integration-part-ii/
>
>     Recently we've upgraded to Moodle 2 and have had to upgrade our
>     WebPA plugin. The main difference this time is the fact that we have
>     a private vendor (Netspot) hosting our instance of Moodle 2 which
>     have their own QA, and approval process for plugins. After a months
>     work our plugin was finally approved a few weeks ago and is now
>     allowing the following WebPA integration with Moodle 2:
>
>>     a. single sign-on from the VLE which automatic creation of the
>>     user account and module if they do not already exist; role being
>>     assigned based on the role within the VLE course;
>>
>>     b. tutors may update WebPA with the current list of enrolments for
>>     the VLE course;
>>
>>     c. marks awarded to students may be pushed back into the grade
>>     book within the VLE;
>
>     Additionally, groupings from Moodle are automatically created into
>     collections in WebPA eliminating any manual group creation in WebPA
>     if it has already been done in Moodle.
>
>     We did not implement the following functionality because I don't
>     believe we will have any scenarios where this would be needed:
>
>>     d. students from different courses (including courses in different
>>     VLEs) could be combined to work together in the same module.
>
>     If different courses are planning to work together in group projects
>     we would have a combined course in our VLE Moodle.
>
>     We will be making the Moodle 2 WebPA Plugin available soon and I'll
>     be sure to notify you all via this mailing list.
>
>     I mention this because I'd like to make sure any changes done to
>     WebPA take into account this plugin so as to avoid any loss in
>     functionality.
>
>     Cheers,
>     John Paul
>

>     John Paul Posada
>
>     Educational Technologist
>     Faculty of Engineering
>     The University of New South Wales | UNSW Sydney | NSW | 2052
>     E: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>     Tel: +61 2 9385 6123 | Mob: +61 2 0401 713 540 | Fax: +61 2 9385 5456
>     Web site: _http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au <http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/>_
>     Disclaimer: _http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/emaildis.htm_
>     CRICOS Provider No: 00098G
>     This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain
>     confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
>     please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this
>     message are those of the individual sender and are not necessarily
>     the views of UNSW.
>

> I've also updated the Prezi tutorial to the Moodle 2 version of our
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.