Re: texts

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Nov 2011 19:58:11 +1100

text/plain

Hi, Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Been thinking about it. Once again, I’m
reproducing your full note because you raise so many valuable issues.

By and large I agree, and I’d say these issues deserve thought. I’m
going to concur on one specific point with a note that I’ve said much
the same, and I’m going to disagree on one point.

The journal article format known as the critical literature review is
not about individual learning, nor even about the role of
contextualization that a literature review serves in the PhD thesis. The
critical literature review and the parallel format of the bibliographic
essay that appears in book form involve concept mapping to advance the
knowledge of the field. I don’t think anyone has suggested that a
critical literature review is just about individual learning, nor even
about individual learning at all, except incidentally as an author
learns a great deal in writing one. The critical literature review adds
to the body of knowledge of a field – that is why journals publish
them.

With Zotero, I’m going to disagree. Zotero does not do 80% of the
work. Zotero doesn’t do 10% -- not even the 10% that a serious
thematic bibliography does. Zotero compiles resource lists. They are
poorly formatted in every Zotero list I’ve seen, and there is no
apparent rationale for selection other than the enthusiasm of the
author. In that sense, Zotero is a bit like “My Favorite Things” in
the Sound of Music. (Remember Julie Andrews singing the film version of
the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical? “Raindrops on roses and whiskers
on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, brown paper
packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favorite
things.”) That is not even a bibliography, much less a concept map
with a description of the value these have for the design field.

Thanks for your proposal. I can see the value of an interpretive
collaborative review. But this is quite different to a wiki, or any of
the other collaborative tools floating about in conversations here.

If I read this correctly, the tool is a expert-level tool where those
who participate must demonstrate skill, knowledge, and expertise to join
in. While this does not entirely solve the free-rider problem, it does
solve the competency problem.

Just as I disagree with you on Zotero, I disagree with Victor on the
idea that we’ll get good concept maps out of a wiki. The problem the
repeated calls for doing this work on a wiki is that folks want the
wiki, but they don't want the work. They imagine that somehow a wiki or
Zotero or any of these other tools will magically yield something even
though no one actually does the work of write skilled, competent
entries. The paragraphs, random notes, and odd thoughts that accumulate
in a wiki won't congeal into a concept map without rigor and
intelligence. This takes work that will not likely be forthcoming in any
project where those who lack skills wait for others to flesh out their
ideas with real thinking and writing. No serious researcher is likely to
take part in an open environment like a wiki or Zotero, not when the
participants are people they would not want to work with in seminars or
direct research collaborations.

Time is the most valuable resource I have. If I wouldn’t “spend”
time in seminars and research collaborations with someone, I won’t
spend time collaborating with them on a wiki. Wikipedia rises to a
reasonable level of mediocrity without taking the next step for
precisely this reason. Experts won’t spend time or waste it on a
reference tool where unskilled amateurs can revise and waste hours or
days of careful writing. The reason for the success of such open-access,
online references as the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is that
experts compile and edit it, review it, and work together carefully to
ensure continuing, updated improvements through expert-level
participation.

That seems to me to be the kind of thing you are aiming at with your
interpretive collaborative review. The medium seems a bit more
collaborative than the single-author articles in the Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy, and the principle of expert-level
participation makes the collaborative investment worthwhile.

Best regards,

Ken

Professor Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished
Professor | Dean, Faculty of Design | Swinburne University of Technology
| Melbourne, Australia | [log in to unmask] | Ph: +61
39214 6078 | Faculty

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:15:40 -0400, Peter Jones | Redesign