Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: 'pathways to impact'

Christine Knight <[log in to unmask]>

psci-com: on public engagement with science

Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:43:21 +0100

text/plain

Hi all,

I was interested in the discussion about Pathways to Impact over the last couple of days. It's fantastic to hear about the various iniatives to pair communication professionals and researchers.

Here at the University of Edinburgh many departments and research centres in the social sciences and humanities have dedicated knowledge exchange or research management staff, whose remit includes providing advice and support to researchers drafting Pathways to Impact sections of grant applications. For instance, in my own role I'm available to any of the 150 researchers in our research network to sit down, brainstorm audiences and stakeholders, arrange introductions if need be, and develop an engagement/impact plan for their project. I can also provide feedback on the draft PtI document as the grant application comes together. In addition to this local support there is also advice and training workshops provided centrally by the university's main research office specifically about the PtI.

I'm unsure of the situation in the sciences but I'm surprised (and sad) that any researcher applying for funding wouldn't have someone, somewhere in the university, available to support them in this way - if not in their immediate department, then in the central university research office. My own network has specific funding provision to support knowledge exchange so I'm aware we're very lucky to have this kind of dedicated local resource - but I wondered if researchers elsewhere really are entirely unsupported in this by their research offices? It would seem a terrible shame in these days when research impact is given such a high priority by the research councils, but if resources are stretched I can imagine it may not be possible. I wonder if though part of the problem may be that researchers aren't always aware of the support that's available to them - something that's easier to address at least than absence of resources.

Best wishes,

Dr Christine Knight BA(Hons) PhD

Policy Research Fellow

ESRC Genomics Policy & Research Forum

College of Humanities and Social Science

University of Edinburgh

St John's Land, Holyrood Road

Edinburgh EH8 8AQ

Tel: 0131 651 4743

Mob: 07956 896943

Fax: 0131 651 4748

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: www.genomicsnetwork.ac.uk/forum

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.