CRISIS-FORUM  September 2011

CRISIS-FORUM September 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Today is a special day for the future of the Arctic

John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>

John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Sep 2011 23:59:28 +0100

text/plain

Hi all,

Today marks an important moment.   The end of the sea ice is clear, with
downward trend established on volume and a record minimum extent today.
A similar retreat must be happening for snow on land, which could
produce a similar forcing.

I reckon we are now about 40% of the way from pre-industrial to zero
ice.  When the end summer is free, we'll be about 70% of the way, from
PIOMAS expected 2015 more likely than 2016.  And 100% is all gone
expected 2020 or so.  The forcing produced corresponds to those percentages.

And, as that forcing increases, the Arctic warming accelerates, so the
chances of a catastrophic methane excursion are increasing all the time.

How can anybody say we do not have an emergency to warrant prestissimo
geoengineering - belts and braces?  We are chasing an ever faster moving
target.  We need a war effort.  But I am hopeful we can win through if
only we can convince governments that such an effort is required.  "For
an engineer, nothing is impossible" [4].

John

[1] http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2011/09/piomas-august-2011.html

[2] http://neven1.typepad.com/.a/6a0133f03a1e37970b015433129b3e970c-popup

[3] http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.recent.arctic.png