Fwd: AHRC & Big Society

Umberto Albarella <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:21:26 +0100

text/plain

Dear All,
the message below may be of interest particularly to people based in
England - but not only. I'd be grateful if you could circulate it to
people, who you think may have an interest.
Cheers,
Umberto

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thom Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 29 June 2011 00:46
Subject: RE: AHRC & Big Society
To: Thom Brooks <[log in to unmask]>

Dear friends and colleagues,

My apologies for once more writing to you about the Arts and
Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and its refusal to remove the "Big
Society" from its delivery plan on strategic research funding
priorities.

There have been important developments. On Thursday, I wrote to the
AHRC on behalf of 40+ senior academics serving on the AHRC Peer Review
College. We stated our intention to resign en masse unless there were
clear positive steps taken to remove the "Big Society" from the AHRC
delivery plan by Monday, 27 June. The AHRC issues a brief statement to
the press (and not to us) that they "regret" our statement, but many
more remain on the Peer Review College. We have now resigned. This
story is attracting media coverage from the BBC, the Guardian, the
Times Higher, the Chronicle of Higher Education, InsideHigherEd,
Research Fortnightly, and elsewhere. The AHRC response has been not to
respond: they are issuing no statements on this matter to us or the
press. This is a clear act of burying their head in the sand and
wishing this away.

Our campaign is a position of principle: political campaign slogans
should have no place in research council delivery plans. Our petitions
have attracted 4,000 signatures and this position reaffirmed in a
joint statement by 30+ learned societies. Now 40+ senior academics
have resigned from the AHRC Peer Review College with more resignations
forthcoming. This is unprecedented widespread opposition from across
the sector. The AHRC decision to not dignify our calls for change with
a response is indefensible: the AHRC can hardly deserve our trust when
it treats the widely shared principled position of the academic
community in this way. Unsurprisingly, some have now called upon AHRC
CEO Rick Rylance to resign.

We have strength in numbers and our position cannot be ignored
further. I fear there is little choice but to ask each of you to
further support this campaign in the following ways:

1. Please write immediately to the following and feel free to use form letter:

Professor Rick Rylance ([log in to unmask])
Professor Sir Alan Wilson ([log in to unmask])
Dr Sue Carver ([log in to unmask])
David Willetts MP ([log in to unmask])

Dear AHRC,

I strongly support the campaign to remove the "Big Society" from the
AHRC delivery plan. This a position of principle, not politics:
political campaign slogans have no place in research council delivery
plans. I join 4,000 colleagues and 30+ learned societies in calling on
this change with immediate effect. There is unprecedented widespread
support for change and the AHRC has lost the argument. It cannot
ignore further the clear principled position that has united the
academy and retain its respect. Please no longer delay: the campaign
is not over.

Sincerely yours,

2. I understand that many colleagues have mixed feelings for many
reasons about joining colleagues in resigning from the AHRC Peer
Review College. None have taken this decision lightly and some have
served since it was launched. It would be particularly helpful for
AHRC Peer Review College members to join the 40+ senior colleagues who
have now resigned. (I would hope that we might all be permitted to
rejoin after the "Big Society" is removed from the AHRC delivery
plan.) HOWEVER, if you wish to support our campaign but unwilling to
resign at present, THEN PLEASE TELL THE AHRC THAT YOU SUPPORT THIS
CHANGE AND YOU ARE AN AHRC PEER REVIEW COLLEGE MEMBER. While I would
welcome more colleagues resigning, please do not hesitate from
contacting the AHRC even if you do not want to resign at this time. It
is important that the AHRC know how strongly we are opposed to the
"Big Society" in their delivery plan.

I remain optimistic that change is possible, but we must continue
voicing our concerns. We cannot permit the AHRC to wish this away
without comment. If the unprecedented widspread support of colleagues
for a small, but important change like this should fail, then this may
be a very worrying sign about our ability to influence the agenda when
faced with much larger (and more divisive) issues in the profession
such as the recently published white paper.

I am extremely grateful for any further help you can offer. I know a
great many of you have written more than once. The AHRC thinks we can
be ignored. We must rise to the challenge if our campaign is to
succeed.

Sincerely yours,

Thom
--------------
Dr Thom Brooks
Reader in Political and Legal Philosophy
Member, AHRC Peer Review College
Department of Politics
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)191 222 5288
Website: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/t.brooks/
Journal of Moral Philosophy: http://www.brill.nl/jmp
The Brooks Blog: http://the-brooks-blog.blogspot.com

Department of Politics
School of Geography, Politics, and Sociology
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
United Kingdom