NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  March 2011

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING March 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The AHRC ordered to research "big society"

Variant <[log in to unmask]>

Variant <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:58:34 +0100

text/plain

It seems perfectly obvious that the AHRC has abandoned any sense of critical autonomy and is happy to take culture, commerce and community and wrap them up together in line with policy, for example:

Research Development Workshop on the Role of the Creative Economy in Developing and Sustaining Prosperous Communities in the UK, Birmingham 6-8th December - The AHRC are organising a workshop as part of the Connected Communities programme with the aim to build on existing research and bring together researchers and other experts from policy and practice communities to identify the key future research challenges and opportunities for understanding the role of the creative economy in developing and sustaining prosperous communities and inform future policy and practice. After inviting a number of key contacts we are now accepting applications to attend the workshop.
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Documents/creativeecoworkshopcall.pdf

> If one is paranoid then it would be possible to read all of the themes described above as government meddling in academic freedom. I have some
> sympathy with that view. But the government doesn't have that kind of reach into academia. The universities that run the UK academic system are mostly
> large and ancient institutions, slow moving strategic units and part of a global structure of such institutions.

As appalling as they are, a quick glance at this weekend's Scottish papers screams otherwise:

Machar says proposal to close course that inspired her ‘beggars belief
http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/home-news/machar-says-proposal-to-close-course-that-inspired-her-beggars-belief-1.1092880

Student sit-in after police eviction: celebrity visits, more protestors and an upgrade
http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/home-news/student-sit-in-after-police-eviction-celebrity-visits-more-protestors-and-an-upgrade-1.1092866

The Senate is the senior academic body of Glasgow University
http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/education/the-role-of-the-senate-1.1092282

University’s Senate calls for delay to course cuts
http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/education/university-s-senate-calls-for-delay-to-course-cuts-1.1092278

Lecturers call for inquiry into sit-in removal
http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/education/lecturers-call-for-inquiry-into-sit-in-removal-1.1092237

University to probe action against sit-in
http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/education/university-to-probe-action-against-sit-in-1.1092518

Lecturers strike as pensions dispute intensifies
http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/education/lecturers-strike-as-pensions-dispute-intensifies-1.1092523

Glasgow students call for principal to resign
http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/education/glasgow-students-call-for-principal-to-resign-1.1092780

Best wishes,
Leigh

On 27 Mar 2011, at 15:00, Simon Biggs wrote:

> [...]
>

> On 27/03/2011 12:47, "Honor Harger" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I don't want to derail the current discussion,
>> but today's news about the new priorities the UK
>> Government have set the Arts and Humanities
>> Research Council (AHRC) - who distribute research
>> funding within UK Universities - does seem
>> rather pertinent to many on the list.
>>
>> For those of you who haven't heard, the AHRC have
>> been asked to commit substantial research funds
>> into studying the Conservative-Liberal-Democrat
>> Government's flagship policy idea, "The Big
>> Society", in exchange for the ring-fencing of the
>> AHRC budget.
>>
>> The Observer report on this story here: http://v.gd/haldane
>>
>> "The Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
>> will spend a "significant" amount of its funding
>> on the prime minister's vision for the country,
>> after a government "clarification" of the Haldane
>> principle - a convention that for 90 years has
>> protected the right of academics to decide where
>> research funds should be spent. Under the revised
>> principle, research bodies must work to the
>> government's national objectives [...] It is
>> claimed the AHRC was told that research into the
>> "big society" was non-negotiable if it wished to
>> maintain its funding at £100m a year."
>>
>> The erosion of the Haldane principle has stark
>> implications for everyone who is involved in, or
>> effected by, University research. If the Observer
>> report is accurate, this is, in my view,
>> transparently chilling, and it is no surprise
>> that several commentators, and academics, have
>> started darkly murmuring:
>>
>> "Who controls the past", ran the Party slogan,
>> "controls the future: who controls the present
>> controls the past."
>>
>> As many of you are in academia in the UK, and
>> some of you are in receipt of AHRC funding, I
>> wonder what your reaction to this is? Have your
>> universities informed you of this news? Have
>> their been any internal briefings?
>>
>> I'd be very curios to know.
>>
>> With all best wishes,
>>
>> Honor Harger
>>
>> PS. On a lighter note, there's some lovely,
>> playful deconstructions of this very disturbing
>> development, on Twitter right now. For those of
>> you who have Twitter accounts, you might be
>> interested in following this hashtag:
>> #bigsocietyresearchproposals
>>
>> Here's some of the recent gems:
>>
>> '"A depraved taste for equality", de Tocqueville
>> and the founding principles of the Big Society'
>>
>> "Big Society of the Spectacle: Guy Debord's
>> influence on policymakers, politicians, and the
>> public."
>>
>> "The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe: The
>> Tragedy of Uncontrolled Immigration in Fantasy
>> Fiction
>>
>> "The Notorious B.I.G. Society: the influence of
>> East Coast hip-hop culture on Conservative policy
>> (1992-2011)"
>> --

Variant
...in-depth coverage in the context of
broader social, political & cultural issues.

1/2 189b Maryhill Road
Glasgow G20 7XJ

t. +44 (0)141 333 9522
e. [log in to unmask]