JiscMail Logo

Help for BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Archives

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Archives

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Archives

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Home

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Home

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM  February 2011

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM February 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: listening, in the context of interviewing

Susan Stevens <[log in to unmask]>

Susan Stevens <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:32:41 -0000

text/plain

I'm coming at this from a therapist's angle (as well as researcher - though
not a pure BNIM ...).

When listening to a client, we are trained in active listening skills. This
includes questioning (to clarify, focus, challenge, summarise etc etc), so I
had to learn to switch this function OFF when interviewing for research
purposes. Listening to/transcribing one's first interview usually teaches
one this!

Also, we are trained in awareness of what is going on inside us (my reading
of what you call the inner monologue/dialogue). And try and box it:
- emotional responses (don't react - but be aware and note down to assess
and process later),
- immediate cognitive responses to the material as it arises (what is the
speaker trying to convey? did s/he say "slip" or "sleep"?),
- intellectual responses in light of the overall interview strategy (do I
pick up on this point, or let it lie?),
- extraneous thoughts (mustn't forget to stop off for petrol on the way
home),
- bodily functions (shouldn't have drunk all that coffee, this chair is no
good for my back ...)
and so on!

"How I learned to stop worrying and love the chaos", perhaps.

My own struggles when doing my doctoral interviewing (2 years ago now,
interviewing 9 therapists twice each) were mostly around the border
territory that makes up the researcher-participant relationship - when to
listen empathically and work to connect (and so facilitate richer
stories/reflections), when to listen, connect and accept (even if
morally/intellectually/emotionally challenging), and when to judge, as the
researcher/analyst.

Learning to accept my own judgementalism helped me learn to be more
in-the-moment with my interviewees (which then, I believe, made me a better
therapist). I had to accept that although analysis/judgement should,
procedurally, come AFTER the interview stage, in practice, I couldn't (and
shouldn't) stop my own personal judgements coming into my mind! But that too
was material to work with, in the analysis and discussion.

We are, necessarily, acceptant human beings (and researchers). We are also,
necessarily, judging. Keeping the two working in harmony, and making use of
the disharmony when it comes, was the dance. For me (as a counselling
psychologist).