ARCH-JUSTICE  February 2011

ARCH-JUSTICE February 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Fwd: Major looting now occuring in Egypt-help needed

Allison Cuneo <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:15:08 -0500

text/plain

Apologies for not keeping up with the debate, but I hadn't realized
that passing on information would create such a ruckus.  However, I
will take Umberto up on his offer and would like to take a moment to
speak for myself instead of allowing others to speculate about my
intentions:

First of all, I should have been much clearer with my original plan.
Then intention of passing the message from Dr. Sarah Parcak on to
various archaeological listservs was to raise awareness and collect the
facts.  In the early stages of the protests, communication between
Egyptians and the rest of the world were severed, making it difficult
to sort out fact from rumor.  This is what happened when the first
reports of looting began to rise.  The first initial reaction on
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blogosphere, etc. was PANIC without any
confirmation of sources or reports.  By forwarding this email to a
wider audience beyond the original recipients, I was hoping that more
information could be shared in the hopes of separating hard facts from
the sea of sensationalized fiction.

I'm not going to speak for Sarah, but I'm sure her intention matches my
in that passing on her email was not some thinly veiled neo-colonial
plot to swoop in and gobble up Egyptian heritage.  Nor was it expected
that we all jump on a plane and paratroop into Egypt fix everything
since OBVIOUSLY the people and authorities of Egypt cannot manage their
own heritage as well as we 'Westerners' or 'Americans' or 'Europeans'.
I apologize for the harsh snarky attitude, but why would I even pass
this on to a forum like Arch-Justice if I was suggesting that sort of
thing?  It was my hope that Sarah's plea would inspire the global
archaeological community (students, scholars, activists, etc.) take
action and notify national agencies (border control/customs/etc.) in
order to alert them to the likely influx of illicitly excavated and
stolen materials from Egypt (as Cecily originally and correctly
suggested).  Of all the archaeologically inclined interests groups, I
believed that this one would be the most likely to take action.
Considering the name of this listserv is Arch-Justice, with an emphasis
on archaeology, I believed that this issue, one that blends the line of
cultural heritage and human rights, would be of interest.

I think the original gut reaction of Sarah's to "send in the troops!",
though misguided and hasty, is one that stems from a post-Iraq Museum
era.  Once again the world watched the pillage and vandalism of a
world-class repository of ancient cultural material, harkening back to
2003.  I think many of us would agree that what happened in Iraq was a
GRAVE injustice as a result of negligence, poor planning, and blatant
disregard for cultural heritage,  and one that we all hoped (especially
Americans) would be the last.  The looting of the Iraq Museum was a
flashpoint in both archaeological and military defense fields, and for
the first time since the end of World War II people were talking about
how to better protect cultural property during armed conflict.
Articles and books were written, conferences were held and people
inevitably took sides.  For the most part academics and military
personnel didn't see eye-to-eye, but what mattered was that there was a
unified goal to prevent another Iraq Museum from happening again.
Through this new dialog between to disparate fields we as
archaeologists hoped a more effective prevention management plan would
emerge.

And then there was Cairo.  This begs the question- did we as
archaeologists, as cultural heritage managers, as museum curators, as
members of the armed forces, as political leaders learn ANYTHING from
the Iraq Museum?  In reality the situation is no better than it was in
1954.  Archaeologists, collections managers, and the rest of the lot
have not improved heritage management protocol in the event of armed
conflict.  Members of the armed forces are no better equipped to
respect cultural sites and repositories than they were prior to the
original Gulf War.  While the methods of destruction in Iraq and Cairo
are similar (vandalizing museums and looting archaeological sites),
clearly the cause of the looting in Egypt and the political/social
meaning of it is entirely different politically and legally to that of
Iraq.  The point remains is that despite the terrible events in 1991
and 2003, heritage managers are still ill-prepared to protect sites and
collections from destruction.

LEGALLY only Egypt as an independent nation-state has the authority to
control the protection of it's cultural heritage within its own
borders.  Egypt is a party to the 1970 UNESCO Convention on the Means
of Prohibiting and Preventing the Illicit Import, Export and Transfer
of Ownership of Cultural Property, the 1972 UNESCO Convention
concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage
and, most importantly for the current situation, the 1954 Hague
Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of
Armed Conflict.  What sort of legal instruments were in place to adhere
to the 1954 Hague Convention at the time of the revolution I am not
sure, but it is clear whatever was in placed failed.  As demonstrated
by the brave actions of Egyptian citizens to protect the Cairo Museum
during the early stages of the protest, the people of Egypt take pride
in their heritage.  However, I question how seriously the government
values heritage management beyond its capacity to generate tourism
revenue.

As Geoff and Ben pointed out, we as archaeologists are in the best
position to help Egypt by preventing it's stolen antiquities from
entering the international art market never to be seen again.  Yes, the
human tragedy is by far more important than protecting antiquities, and
the majority of resources should go into helping the people of Egypt,
but that doesn't mean that cultural heritage should be completely
ignored.  There is no need to choose between people and antiquities, we
can and should care about both in varying degrees.  I agree with Maresi
that 'archaeologist' and 'humanitarian' or 'political activist' are not
mutually exclusive, nor should they ever be.  However, I'm not going to
pretend that I'm more knowledgable of international human rights law
than I am of heritage management and archaeology.  I'm going to help
Egypt the best way I know how, which is by disseminating information to
those who can stem the flow of cultural material from entering global
markets and sharing any news about the status of cultural heritage in
Egypt.  So we all can either continue to sit in our ivory towers of
academia and whinge on blogs and in emails, or we can take action and
do our part to help Egypt in the capacity which we are best equipped.

Allison Cuneo

Allison Cuneo
Boston University
Department of Archaeology
675 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Umberto Albarella