CRISIS-FORUM  December 2010

CRISIS-FORUM December 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

FW: Press Release/ Southampton university plc

Mark Levene <[log in to unmask]>

Mark Levene <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:48:54 +0000

text/plain

dear Forumers,

Hardly as a Christmas present, I wanted to share this missive below with
yourselves from a post-graduate engineering student at Southampton, who will
remain for this purpose, anonymous. The press release below that, of course,
is in the public domain.

Crisis Forum was created in part because its founders saw a crisis within
the university environment :  more exactly a failure on the part of those
who lead its apparatus to 'imagine' how  academic institutions might
function as a force for  practical 'good' and indeed 'wisdom' in the face of
the wider 'anthropogenic' crisis very much before us. The below is
indicative to my mind of how and why UK universities plc will continue to
head down the wrong road, indeed  towards the proverbial cul-de-sac. Perhaps
the information on Southampton writ-small might act, too, as a goad to the
discussions many of us I hope will be having on the  university scene
writ-large at the  university transition conference  on  5-6 February : part
organised by ourselves at Crisis Forum
http://www.crisis-forum.org.uk/events/transition2011/transitionhome.php

a gentle Christmas to you all,

mark

----------

Subject: FW: Press Release

Hi Mark,

I received this email today and it gave me the impetus to contact you.
Perhaps you know about these plans already (see forwarded email below), but
I thought it'd be best to forward it on, and I'm sad to do so because it is
more evidence to suggest that the University is a slave to industry (and
worse, proud of it); and also perhaps that the Transition movement has more
to stand up to than expected. (I'm with you completely that universities
should be leading the example to the rest of the country rather than
pandering to industry's short-sighted whims.)

Based on what I've been learning about the mechanisms of funding in my
department, this decision doesn't really surprise me (which on reflection is
sad. It does make me wish it was different, but again, if things are to be
done, the money for it has to come from somewhere, and perhaps this 'centre
for excellence' may bring together just the right people for something
interesting to happen...). What I'm saying is that in my lab, work is
conducted on a contract basis; we get some money to carry out a specific
piece of work. Whether that money comes from EPSRC or a company is
irrelevant, and the work title more often than not originates with the
funding body rather than from our researchers' minds (although some work on
independent projects happens in between contracts, I think this is seen as a
bit maverick) . This whole problem appears to me to be a lack of
responsibility of commanding the questions that are getting worked on. There
is some freedom to write your own funding applications and control which
contracts get done, but those decisions are based not on 'the usefulness of
the output' (beneficial to society) so much as which funding body gives the
biggest grant, or which project may open more avenues for future work etc
(beneficial to self, or to lab). While I think the researchers themselves
are definitely those best placed to decide which research gets carried out,
I think there is a flaw in their thinking when considering what to do, and
that this stems from narrow education (most people in my lab have only
studied science and maths since age 16).

Mmm. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, and this probably doesn't interest you at
all! Back to the point, where do you think then, the responsibility for
deciding which work gets carried out should lie? Because when left to market
forces (as it is now) there is a lot of wasted time, effort, resources.
(Perhaps I'll get a job in the EPSRC when I finish this EngD...) I reckon
this is where humanities steps in. The clear sight in the fog (or snow!)!