CRISIS-FORUM  September 2010

CRISIS-FORUM September 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: the role of identity in denier motivation

John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>

John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:12:04 +0100

text/plain

Hi James,

I'm not a psychologist, but found the "mortality salience" was the only
way to explain behaviour of some top climate scientists, who will not
accept the conclusion of a straightforward argument about the danger in
the Arctic - while unable to dispute the logic of the argument!

You might be right about peak oil being a potential killer. All the
things we might run out of are potential killers, if they cause
conflict. I focus on Arctic and Amazon, because we could pass the point
of no return quite suddenly, and the resultant catastrophes are on a
scale that could take out civilisation - causing the collapse that
Diamond writes about in his book. We are exhibiting all the signs of
impending collapse, if we continue to behave as we are - especially with
this denial of the means to save ourselves!

But, as Jared Diamond says, if we learn to understand ourselves, and how
we can make disastrous decisions (see his Chapter 14), then we have some
hope. To counter our natural psychological tendency for wishful
thinking, always consider the very worst case most seriously, and what
could be done to avoid it. That's my motto.

Cheers,

John

---