Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: maximum XRD throughput

Ian Slipper <[log in to unmask]>

Support and use of X-ray diffraction instrumentation <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:29:57 +0100

text/plain

Hello Ralph,
I am using Bruker D8 with LynxEye detector and multiple sample changer. Data collection is rapid. I use Bruker's Topas for Rietveld analysis when quant is needed. It is true that if samples are similar it is quick enough to run multiple traces through, but I find that in the real world with geological samples there is always some variation which requires extra identification work and some more care in the fitting. You need to have identified every component, and have a structure that the program can work with. I recently did a small job of six samples which had similar but slightly variable mineralogy (between five and nine phases), Starting from scratch using EVA for identification and Topas for quant this took me 2 1/2 hours work at the PC.

I am very happy with the D8 system, like Ross we have a 90 position sample changer and were using three cassettes, but on the back of a larger job we getting a full complement to all six.

Regards
Ian Slipper