Re: types of design research

Prof M P Ranjan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:28:52 +0530

text/plain

Dear Klaus and friends

I agree with your statements Klaus, and thank you for this very clear and
unambiguous exposition.

To put it simply, the future is essentially unpredictable as long as future
human responses are at the heart of the possible outcomes. This is why I
like the two concepts proposed by Wolfgang Jonas on the one hand and by
George Soros on the other are so important for our understanding of design
thought and action. Jonas offers the concept of the Swamp, an unpredictable
space in which design action enters and he has outlined these in his papers
and book "Mind the Gap". Soros offers the theory of Reflexivity with
reference ti the financial markets where every action and intention enters
the public space only to be responded to instantly or over time by other
intelligent humans, all acting in their own self interest, each shaping the
possible outcome by virtue of their own response. Design is much like that
in my view and even design proposals and technology speculations have a way
of affecting the possible outcomes due to their collective actions. This is
why preemptive marketing has such an immediate effect in the new technology
space and the new product space as we have seen in so many cases of
competitive behavior of companies locked in intense competition.

Thank you for your comment. By the way your Semantic Turn does give us a
great platform from which to understand design within these terms of
reference. The last chapter on HfG Ulm gives us a rare insight into the
early founding of these ideas at the great school in Germany. I visited the
Ulm Archive last May and stayed at the campus studio of Nick Roerich in my
research effort to find connections between HfG Ulm and NID in the early
60's and well into the 70's and 80's through the contacts with Ulm alumni
and faculty. We conducted a one day conference on these conections in March
this year at Bangalore in collabotration with the Ulm Archive since we now
have a major exhibtion on HfG Ulm traveling to three cities in India,
Ahmedabad (February 2010), Bangalore (March 2010) and now Kolkata (September
2010). I mention this here since the work at Ulm is amazing and forward
looking and unfortnately not easily accessible when we look at the influence
of the Bauhaus traditions on design and design education. During the
Bangalore event we were able to prepare and release a digital multimedia DVD
with 21 Ulm Journals prepared from the single complete set that was
available in the NID library. These were released with permission from Prof
Gui Bonsiepe who was the editor of the Journal in the 60's while he was
teaching at Ulm. These files and the conference proceedings (Look Back -
Look Forward: HfG Ulm and Design Education in
India)<http://design-for-india.blogspot.com/2010/04/look-back-look-forward-bengaluru-event.html>are
now available for download at my blog, Design
for India, <http://www.design-for-india.blogspot.com/> here at this link. I
am sure that these will be a valuable resource for any research into design
thought and action particularly since there is a growing interest in design
today and some of these early explorations are no easily accessible to the
scientific community outside the design space.
<
http://design-for-india.blogspot.com/2010/04/look-back-look-forward-bengaluru-event.html

We are planing the next National conference at Kolkata on the 28th September
2010 and I will share the details as soon as we have the formal approvals
from the sponsors, The Goethe Institute and the NID. The theme for this
conference is basic Design, More soon on this event.

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my imac at home on the NID campus
10 August 2010 at 9.10 am IST

Prof M P Ranjan
Faculty of Design
Head, Centre for Bamboo Initiatives at NID (CFBI-NID)
Chairman, GeoVisualisation Task Group (DST, Govt. of India) (2006-2008)
National Institute of Design
Paldi
Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Tel: (off) 91 79 26623692 ext 1090