The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  June 2010

DISABILITY-RESEARCH June 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: the problem of confidentiality and the class reflections

BJ Kitchin <[log in to unmask]>

BJ Kitchin <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Jun 2010 18:21:52 -0400

text/plain

What is clear to me (BJ) is that the voices on the list are diverse and the
opinions shared resemble this.  Including those with the opinion of
"horrified disbelief."  Which is fine as far as opinions go I suppose but
that sentiment certainly seems a but overboard to me.  Still, there has been
breadth of perspective for the students who have stuck with this to
process.  I fear however, that the message the students might take away is
that they can expect to be treated harshly by members of this list more
articulate and learned then they.  Hammering them and there professor for
problems with there ideas, means of expression, and so forth.  I don't fret
too much about it because its all feedback and that's what they asked for
(good and bad)... its worth thinking about though.

How should the student's interpret the "horrified disbelief" they have
participated in causing?  And as James pointed out, the "Offensiveness" and
"Scarring?"  Forgive my sarcasm, I really do think the assignment needs a
great deal of refinement but some of the reactions here make me think the
old guard is moaning from their antiquated perspectives on the mountain of
decency and good manners. I am reminded of a line from the movie the Wizard
of Oz (Old American Film)... "Lion's, and tigers, and bears... OH MY!"  Lets
be a little more brave, hmmm?

The comments about horrors and institutional review processes is a bit much
really (IMO).  You did qualify why you have that perspective which was great
but this was not research, even though methods are indeed in question.  And,
should Professors run all there assignments by an institutional review
board? Is that really what you are suggesting?

Should we "go off" on a class we were instructing when we disagree with
their approaches and ideas, like some have here?  (Not withstanding James
Overboe's chide that we should receive some of Professor Neuville's
remuneration/peanuts for co-instruction.   That was funny and perfectly
acceptable IMO :-).  That said, we don't have to read or respond. I reject
the notion that used us to do his work, even if it was mostly offered in
jest. I do think its fair to say we look to the list to connect with other
people... and their grace.

I don't think these litany of posts warrant's in anyway whatsoever that the
list take measures to lock down the possibility of this sort of thing ever
happening again! Egads! I do think you propose other options that could work
quite nicely. Perhaps we can self regulate a bit more democratically. After
all Liz you haven't even read what the students posted so you say.  Nor do
you need to but I don't think the professor really wanted to throw his
students and their ideas to the scholar sharks of the world... there are
indeed sharks in the world though and its good to know that.

I would agree as well that the list cannot control or demand the contingency
of common sense and common courtesy in order to have the right to post,
particularly given that to some degree such things are relative.  That said,
perhaps we should examine all of the comments regarding the students posts
as violating common sense and common courtesy; ergo some of the responses
from the scholars and teachers on the list are offenders too?  I'm not sure.
Though I do not agree with the process of the assignment in whole I
certainly can appreciate the intent.

What most who have responded seem to agree about is that the public sphere
is a dangerous place to speak.  I agree.  Still, its an interesting
phenomenon of social media, of which a listserve is even if its clunky and
antiquated, to remove some of the controls around how ideas get talked/typed
about.  In this way social media can denude some of the barriers that
"normalize" communication.  That is risky though.  Still, its gaining
speed!  People are connecting to the tune of billions over social media and
thumbing their noses to some degree at the institutional power to control
when they want to say something from the top rope.  Or in the case of the
students, just share what they think - (or just complete an assignment and
get on with summer break).  I only mention this because perhaps there is a
little nostalgia for those mediated controls over how we share our ideas
going on here.  I suggest that perhaps common sense is historically and
geographically positional... and times and places are-a-changing.

Social media takes away some of the filters installed by institutional
hegemony (rightly or wrongly installed) ... perhaps there is some good in
that albeit there is bad too.

One thing is certain... these students have inspired some interesting
conversation!