EATAW  May 2010

EATAW May 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: teaching 'own ideas', was Do SS learn to plagiarize in our classes?

Rebel Palm <[log in to unmask]>

European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 May 2010 15:55:07 -0600

text/plain

If by "latitude" you mean cutting them some slack and not
expelling them at the first instance of using someone
else's words, I would support that.  Most faculty here do
recognize that non-native speakers of English have
compounded issues learning how to write academic English.
 Plus different publication styles have their own rules
for how to cite which makes when and how to cite even more
confusing.

But after a time, non-native English speaker or not, we
would expect them to pick up on what plagiarism is.
 Recently an Asian student here was almost expelled
because after two years of various people explaining to
him how to cite, he still went and copied text from
somewhere and put it in his master's comps exam, sans
credit!  That was too much for the people who had been
working with him for those two years.  (Eventually they
gave him another chance so he's still here.)

I would turn the question back to a corollary issue that
has already been brought up.  Regardless of what language
is their first, if giving credit and academic honesty is
just as important in other-than-European cultures as it is
for us, why should we give them any latitude?  Either they
get the concept of plagiarism or they don't.  They may
have to learn the mechanics of certain citation styles
(APA, MLA, etc.) but the idea of giving credit should
already be there.  Right?  One of my tutors just told me
of a student she had earlier today--out of a 20-page
paper, about 19 were plagiarized.  When she asked the
student where he got some text that was written in a very
different style than the part she could tell was his, he
admitted that he did not come up with it, but the text
wasn't marked with quotes either.  He was willing to admit
that the text wasn't his, he wasn't trying to hide it, but
he also didn't feel the need to cite it.  (Of course she
told him he should, but it's illustrative of the
continuing problem.)

Rebel
College of Education
Graduate Student Writing Studio
University of New Mexico

On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:50:52 +0200
  Russell Kent <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear List Members,
>
> A question I would like to pose to the list.
>
> Do members feel that more latitude regarding plagiarism
>should be given to
> non-native speakers of English than native speakers?
>
> I would be interested in knowing list members opinions.
>
> I sometimes just wonder if too much is asked of some
>non-native speakers
> because lack of language is an extra barrier they have
>to face.
>
> Regards,
>
> Russ Kent

Bring to the act of writing all of your craft, care,
devotion, lack of humbug, and honesty of sentiment. And
then write without looking over your shoulder for the
literary police. Write as if your life depended on saying
what you felt as clearly as you could, while never losing
sight of the phenomenon to be described.
Norman Mailer, The Spooky Art