The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  May 2010

DISABILITY-RESEARCH May 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: supermarket self service checkouts (Sainsburys)

Liz Panton <[log in to unmask]>

Liz Panton <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 May 2010 20:12:23 +0100

text/plain

Hi again,

These exchanges are from the Sainsbury website forums:

https://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/YOURIDEAS/forums/thread/14397.aspx

PARENT:
I can not get a straight answer.... Can parents purchase alcohol with their
weekly shopping when accompanied by their children in Sainsburys?
With the Think 25, Everyone in the party has to prove they are 18, my
children obviously can not.
So where do parents stand now?
I am disabled, my 14yr old daughter is my carer when I am well enough to go.

My 42yr old husband was refused 2 litres of Gordons Gin last week, at
lunchtime, because she did not have ID!
Even after calling for a Manager and my daughter leaving the shop and my
husband who had I.D. explained THREE times it was for him, he was still
refused.
What is going on? Have I moved from this free country without realising?
Please advise?
Thankyou

JENNIFER@SAINSBURY REPLY:
Hi there

I’m sorry to hear of the incident that has occurred in your local store. In
January we announced that along with the other major supermarkets, we would
move to a Think 25 policy. Over the last eighteen months the focus on anti
social behaviour, health service costs and crime attributed to the sale of
alcohol and knives to young people has increased considerably. There is an
increasing risk that through selling to someone who is underage, a colleague
may be cautioned or we may lose an alcohol licence. As you mentioned, you
are fully aware as this.

To minimise the serious risk of selling any age restricted goods to young
people, all stores moved to a Think 25 policy on Wednesday 15th July. The
move to Think 25 has been supported with customer information posters, new
training materials and new style point of sale advertising, plus a checkout
prompt that is now being phased in.

Colleagues are trained with this new policy in mind. However, in your
situation as your husband had already purchased alcohol I think some common
sense would be put in order and allow the sale.

At Sainsbury’s we do aim to be a family orientated company, who have strong
values. I’m again sorry for this experience.

Jennifer

******************
https://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/YourIdeas/forums/15328/ShowThread.aspx#15328

HAPPYK23:
I was at sainsbury with my wife and casher ask me to ID to buy a 4cans of
guiness

I showed ID then she says ok but ask my wife's ID (i am 26 and wife is 27)

I don't understand her behaviour because if some dad or mom with their child
are they cannot buy beer or bottle of wine ??

I understand your policy to ask ID but this is really not a good Idea

under sainsbury policy parents with child or age over 25 with younger
brother cannot buy drinks at all !!!

i just curious if the case is like above what would you do nomally?? i want
to here your policy

I really disappointed with casher's behabiour even if i showed my ID she ask
to my wife's ID

funny thing is cahier and i had long conversation then she sell the beer

I decide to not to go sainsbury ever again

Finally i suggest sainsbury working team that judging age is very diffcult
therefore if someone want buy beer you should ask ID no matter what age look
like, just ask ID if someone want to buy it because i feel discimination
from the chashier even if i showed ID

CHEEKYMONKEY1990:
Hi happyk23,
I'm a Customer Services Team Leader at my local store, so I'll try and help
with your problem.

I'm really sorry if you feel disappointed by your recent experience in a
Sainsbury’s store. Sainsbury’s is a responsible retailer, and as such has
agreed to Think 25 when selling any age-restricted products, including
alcohol.

In effect, this means that we train our cashiers to ask for ID from anyone
who they think could be aged under 25, and to refuse the sale if the
customer cannot prove their age or the cashier suspects that the customer is
buying the item on behalf of someone else under 18. The legal age for the
purchase of alcohol has not changed, it is still 18.

Age, as you rightly say, is a very difficult thing to judge for any cashier.
As you say you are 26, and your wife 27, so the cashier who served you would
be correct in thinking you were around the age of 25. That is why you have
been asked for ID when buying alcohol.

You suggested that Sainsbury's should adopt a policy of ID'ing anyone who
was attempting to purchase alcohol, regardless of their age. I, personally,
don't think it is necessary to ID a very elderly looking customer (because
they are obviously over 18). However, the age “25” is more a psychological
limit than a legal limit. We tell cashiers to think 25, because everyone has
a different interpretation of what a 25 year old person looks like, and
indeed there may be people who are 25 who look very young or very old for
their age.

However, cashiers who are caught selling alcohol to minors are breaking the
law and face fines and possibe disciplinary action. So the policy is in
place to protect the store, and our cashiers. It is not designed to annoy
our customers.

However, we never want to embarrass or inconvenience our customers, so I am
sorry if you feel let-down on this occasion. Perhaps you might like to talk
to a member of the Store Management if this happens to you again, and the
issue can be investigated immediately.

I hope this helps to clear up the situation, and I hope to see you in one of
our Sainsbury's stores again shortly.

James - Sainsbury's Bury St. Edmunds

XIONG:
Dear Sainsbury's,

I'm afraid you have not actually clarified your reason for 'ID'ing those who
accompany customers who have proven their age to be over 18. You mention
that it would be an offense to sell alcohol to a minor, but this would not
be the case if the customer has proof of age. The public is unanimous in
their agreement that the policy is badly damaging the reputation of
Sainsbury's for the following reasons:

For adults who are truly trying to buy alcohol on behalf of minors, it would
take just one failed attempt before routinely asking the minors to stand
outside the store for any future, successful purchases. The only people
prevented from buying alcohol in this way are people exactly as described in
the account of happyk23 (above), expecting make a purchase in full
accordance with British law but who are prevented from doing so by the
misguided discretion of a Sainsbury's staff member. I too have personally
found that maintaining a conversation with a cashier when this has occurred
will lead to a sale, despite previous refusal.

My only conclusion is that the policy was a misguided response to the
further misguided backlash against your Basics Lager range. The lack of
consistency or logic, and outrage felt by your otherwise loyal customers
leaves you with much explaining to do.

I look forward to a response.

Xiong

LESLEY@SAINSBURYS
Hi there

We have to make sure that any alcohol bought from our stores is not going to
be consumed by anybody underage. We operate a Think 25 policy and this means
that anybody who looks under the age of 25 will have to show an approved
form of ID before they are allowed to purchase alcohol. Colleagues can be
personally prosecuted if they sell alcohol to a minor, or to somebody who
then gives it to a minor. I know it can sometimes come across as
over-zealous, but it’s really important that colleagues don’t risk alcohol
being consumed by someone underage.

Along with other major supermarkets, we felt that our previous policy wasn’t
quite strong enough. We’ve therefore moved to a Think 25 policy, which is
supported by the Government. As long as customers can show ID when asked,
we’ll of course be very happy to serve them.

I hope this helps.

POLLYWIGGLE:
Hi,

bought from our stores is not going to be consumed by anybody underage'.

The law relating to alcohol states that anybody over the age of 5 can drink
alcohol at home or on other private premises.

As it is impossible for you to know where the alcohol is going to be
consumed & by whom, you are simply assuming that anyone buying alcohol with
a child/minor/someone who may or may not be under 25 in tow will immediately
hand it over outside the store for consumption in a public place.

If this is how you choose to interpret the rules then why sell alcohol to
anybody as you have no knowledge of how any alcohol that leaves your store
is going to be drunk, by whom or where.

I recently experienced this discrimination when I shopped at Sainsburys with
my 16 year old son. I chose to leave my shopping at the checkout & cross the
road to a competitor where I bought identical products with no problem.

I object to Sainsburys making an assumption & moral judgement on my
character & I will not be shopping at a Sainsburys store again.

--
I raise money for Communication Matters with Everyclick.com
Find out how you can help here: http://www.everyclick.com/lizpanton

Archives and tools are located at: