CCP4BB  May 2010

CCP4BB May 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: size of protein in negatively stained TEM?

Alexandra Deaconescu <[log in to unmask]>

Alexandra Deaconescu <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 May 2010 23:01:40 -0400

text/plain

Hello:

I am not at all surprised by your observations. Negatively stained
images are sometimes tricky to interpret. Despite a much higher
contrast, one has to deal with various artifacts of the staining/
drying/flattening process, and of course, the stain thickness on any
grid or mesh is variable which may result in the different "sizes" you
see (assuming all the data was collected at the same defocus value).
If you see large differences in not only size, but also shape, that
may indicate that you have some aggregation in your specimen and that
the differences in size you see are not due to differential staining
but heterogeneity in the specimen. In my experience, I have seen
particles that look slightly smaller when negatively-stained (but then
of course, all is in the map "thresholding" and therefore  don't think
there is any rule of thumb) f. If you'd like I can have a look at your
images/class averages, but I am not sure I will have a definitive
answer :)

Hope this helps.

Alex

Alexandra Deaconescu, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow of the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
c/o Grigorieff Laboratory
Brandeis University
http://people.brandeis.edu/~deacona